From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Date: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 at 11:32 AM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] Nominating Ying Su as new committer

Dear TSC members,

I would like to nominate Ying Su as a committer. Ying has been working on Presto for almost 3 years. She had contributed 200 commits with 20K+ lines of code.

She primarily worked on execution and performance optimization. Some of her highlights are:

  • Optimize repartition, which brought 2-3x CPU reduction on PartitionedOutputOperator (Blog Post) and 6x memory reduction.
  • Optimize Unnest, which brought up to 20x CPU reduction on UnnestOperator in Facebook workload (Blog Post)
  • Scan optimizations that brought additional 3 -17% efficiency through vectorization and batch processing on top of Aria Scan optimizations.
  • Many performance improvements in projection, map / array functions, etc.
  • Many memory / GC fixes, etc

In addition to her contribution, she also provided valuable feedbacks on others’ work related to execution / performance improvements. I think it’s safe to say that Presto would not be as good without her contributions.

Per the TSC charter "A Contributor may become a Committer by a majority approval of the existing Committers.", therefore, each TSC member has one vote to cast. Please reply with +1/-1 if you approve/disapprove onboarding Ying as a committer.

venki.korukanti@...

+1

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:05 PM Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io <tdm=fb.com@...> wrote:

+1

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Date: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 at 11:32 AM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Wenlei Xie

+1

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 11:32 AM <rongrong100@...> wrote:
[...]

Best Regards,
Wenlei Xie (谢文磊)

Email: wenlei.xie@...

rschlussel@...

+1

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Date: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 at 3:10 PM
To: rongrong100@... <rongrong100@...>
Cc: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-tsc] Nominating Ying Su as new committer

[...]

Wenlei Xie (文磊)

Email: wenlei.xie@...

Bin Fan

+1 for the nomination.

Thanks for the great work!

- Bin

[...]

Andrii Rosa

+1

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 4:41 PM Bin Fan <binfan@...> wrote:
+1 for the nomination.

Thanks for the great work!

- Bin

[...]

Shixuan Fan

+1

I feel this is long overdue :D

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Date: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 at 11:33 AM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

zluo@...

+1

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 7:07 AM Shixuan Fan via lists.prestodb.io <shixuan=fb.com@...> wrote:

+1

I feel this is long overdue :D

presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

Date: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 at 11:33 AM

To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

rongrong100@...

We have 9 votes which should be a majority. Per our charter, let's welcome Ying as our newest committer!

Ying: Congratulations!

Gale: could you please help add Ying to the relevant mailing lists and groups? Thanks!
Rongrong