Allowing external checks on Github PR

Leiqing Cai

I'd like to propose allowing additional external checks on Github PR. Specifically, I'm looking to a test to check for Facebook integration.

Currently, Travis CI is run on each PR (shown in the screenshot below).
However, this is not enough since there are active repos depending upon the master of prestodb/presto.
Allowing adding external integration checks can help identify breakages earlier on.

Here are the rules that I propose for external checks:
- Anyone can add external checks upon TSC approval.
- Test owner should make sure that the test is not flaky.
- Test failures does not block merging. They only serves alerting purpose.

Andrii Rosa

+1

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 6:06 PM Leiqing Cai <caithagoras@...> wrote:
I'd like to propose allowing additional external checks on Github PR. Specifically, I'm looking to a test to check for Facebook integration.

Currently, Travis CI is run on each PR (shown in the screenshot below).
However, this is not enough since there are active repos depending upon the master of prestodb/presto.
Allowing adding external integration checks can help identify breakages earlier on.

Here are the rules that I propose for external checks:
- Anyone can add external checks upon TSC approval.
- Test owner should make sure that the test is not flaky.
- Test failures does not block merging. They only serves alerting purpose.

jamessun@...

+1

I'd like to propose allowing additional external checks on Github PR. Specifically, I'm looking to a test to check for Facebook integration.

Currently, Travis CI is run on each PR (shown in the screenshot below).
However, this is not enough since there are active repos depending upon the master of prestodb/presto.
Allowing adding external integration checks can help identify breakages earlier on.

Here are the rules that I propose for external checks:
- Anyone can add external checks upon TSC approval.
- Test owner should make sure that the test is not flaky.
- Test failures does not block merging. They only serves alerting purpose.

Shixuan Fan

+1 and thanks for doing this!

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Leiqing Cai <caithagoras@...>
Date: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 3:06 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

I'd like to propose allowing additional external checks on Github PR. Specifically, I'm looking to a test to check for Facebook integration.

Currently, Travis CI is run on each PR (shown in the screenshot below).
However, this is not enough since there are active repos depending upon the master of prestodb/presto.
Allowing adding external integration checks can help identify breakages earlier on.

Here are the rules that I propose for external checks:
- Anyone can add external checks upon TSC approval.
- Test owner should make sure that the test is not flaky.
- Test failures does not block merging. They only serves alerting purpose.

Ariel Weisberg

Non-binding +1

This is great!

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, at 6:06 PM, Leiqing Cai wrote:
I'd like to propose allowing additional external checks on Github PR. Specifically, I'm looking to a test to check for Facebook integration.

Currently, Travis CI is run on each PR (shown in the screenshot below).
However, this is not enough since there are active repos depending upon the master of prestodb/presto.
Allowing adding external integration checks can help identify breakages earlier on.

Here are the rules that I propose for external checks:
- Anyone can add external checks upon TSC approval.
- Test owner should make sure that the test is not flaky.
- Test failures does not block merging. They only serves alerting purpose.

Attachments:
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 2.41.18 PM.png

zluo@...

+1

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 3:29 PM Ariel Weisberg <ariel@...> wrote:
Non-binding +1

This is great!

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, at 6:06 PM, Leiqing Cai wrote:
I'd like to propose allowing additional external checks on Github PR. Specifically, I'm looking to a test to check for Facebook integration.

Currently, Travis CI is run on each PR (shown in the screenshot below).
However, this is not enough since there are active repos depending upon the master of prestodb/presto.
Allowing adding external integration checks can help identify breakages earlier on.

Here are the rules that I propose for external checks:
- Anyone can add external checks upon TSC approval.
- Test owner should make sure that the test is not flaky.
- Test failures does not block merging. They only serves alerting purpose.

Attachments:
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 2.41.18 PM.png

Wenlei Xie

+1

--

rongrong100@...

+1

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 4:02 PM <wenlei.xie@...> wrote:
+1

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 15:06 Leiqing Cai <caithagoras@...> wrote:
I'd like to propose allowing additional external checks on Github PR. Specifically, I'm looking to a test to check for Facebook integration.

Currently, Travis CI is run on each PR (shown in the screenshot below).
However, this is not enough since there are active repos depending upon the master of prestodb/presto.
Allowing adding external integration checks can help identify breakages earlier on.

Here are the rules that I propose for external checks:
- Anyone can add external checks upon TSC approval.
- Test owner should make sure that the test is not flaky.
- Test failures does not block merging. They only serves alerting purpose.

venki.korukanti@...

+1

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 10:29 PM <rongrong100@...> wrote:
+1

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 4:02 PM <wenlei.xie@...> wrote:
+1

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 15:06 Leiqing Cai <caithagoras@...> wrote:
I'd like to propose allowing additional external checks on Github PR. Specifically, I'm looking to a test to check for Facebook integration.

Currently, Travis CI is run on each PR (shown in the screenshot below).
However, this is not enough since there are active repos depending upon the master of prestodb/presto.
Allowing adding external integration checks can help identify breakages earlier on.

Here are the rules that I propose for external checks:
- Anyone can add external checks upon TSC approval.
- Test owner should make sure that the test is not flaky.
- Test failures does not block merging. They only serves alerting purpose.

Swapnil Tailor

+1

Along with the rule of adding external checks, we should also be having rule around when to remove external checks.
i.e. if the checks keep failing for certain period of time and not fixed, then we should remove them.
Reason: It's good to have not have broken checks for long period of time so we won't start ignoring them if they fail long enough.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 9:25 AM venkik via Lists.Prestodb.Io <venkik=uber.com@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Everyone!

Agree with @Swapnil about removing consistently failing tests.

This new Facebook Integration test is now available.

Test can be triggered by force-pushing new changes, or by adding a comment: [test-facebook]

This instruction is also posted in the Slack #dev channel.