Date

Re: Nominating James Petty as new committer

zluo@...

+1

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 5:32 PM Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io <tdm=fb.com@...> wrote:

+1

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Shixuan Fan via lists.prestodb.io <shixuan=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 4:58 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] Nominating James Petty as new committer

Hi TSC members,

I'd like to nominate James Petty as a committer. James has been working on Presto for a little over 2 years, first as part of the AWS Athena team and now as a member of the EMR performance team. Some of his contribution highlights include:

* Reducing sources of lock contention throughout the engine (prestodb#15509, prestodb#15477)

* Reducing coordinator heap pressure from Glue metastore partitions (prestodb#15389)

* Various bug fixes, including a fix for a long standing accounting issue with memory revoking (prestodb#15569)

* Implementing spill to disk compression and encryption (prestodb#12617)

* making query result GZIP compression configurable (prestodb#15393)

The full list of his commits can be found here: https://github.com/prestodb/presto/commits?author=pettyjamesm

Per the TSC charter "A Contributor may become a Committer by a majority approval of the existing Committers.", therefore, each TSC member has one vote to cast. Please reply with +1/-1 if you approve/disapprove onboarding James as a committer.

Thanks,

Shixuan

Re: Nominating James Petty as new committer

Tim Meehan

+1

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 2:35 PM
To: venkik@... <venkik@...>, Rebecca Schlussel <rschlussel@...>
Cc: Shixuan Fan <shixuan@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

+10

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "venkik via lists.prestodb.io" <venkik=uber.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 5:35 PM
To: Rebecca Schlussel <rschlussel@...>
Cc: Shixuan Fan <shixuan@...>, "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

+1

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 2:33 PM rschlussel via lists.prestodb.io <rschlussel=fb.com@...> wrote:

+1

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 2:35 PM
To: venkik@... <venkik@...>, Rebecca Schlussel <rschlussel@...>
Cc: Shixuan Fan <shixuan@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

+10

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "venkik via lists.prestodb.io" <venkik=uber.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 5:35 PM
To: Rebecca Schlussel <rschlussel@...>
Cc: Shixuan Fan <shixuan@...>, "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "venkik via lists.prestodb.io" <venkik=uber.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 5:35 PM
To: Rebecca Schlussel <rschlussel@...>
Cc: Shixuan Fan <shixuan@...>, "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Shixuan Fan via lists.prestodb.io <shixuan=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 4:58 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Shixuan Fan

[...]

Re: Adding doc requirement to commit guidelines

rschlussel@...

Thanks everyone for your responses. I’ve updated the Review and Commit guidelines to reflect the documentation requirement.  Bin - I think if the PR is large, it’s still best to include the documentation as a separate commit in the same PR, but if it’s in a linked PR that’s not the end of the world.

From: Bin Fan <binfan@...>
Date: Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 2:10 PM
To: Rebecca Schlussel <rschlussel@...>
Cc: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-tsc] Adding doc requirement to commit guidelines

Agree.

If the original PR in src code is already large, perhaps we shall allow another separate doc PR linked in the first PR?

- Bin

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 9:14 AM rschlussel via lists.prestodb.io <rschlussel=fb.com@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

It’s come up a few times recently where new functions have been added without documentation, which makes them not very usable.  Since it’s much easier to ensure that documentation gets written if it’s done when the feature is added, I’d like to propose an update to our commit guidelines to say that new functions, language features, etc. need to have documentation included as part of the PR, and we don’t merge without that documentation.

What do others think?

Rebecca

[...]

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:44 AM Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...> wrote:

Makes sense to me too.

-Masha

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Ariel Weisberg <ariel@...>
Date: Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 12:18 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

Hi,

Agree. It's an implicit requirement IMO, but I see people (sometimes me) forgetting it at both contribution and review time.

Ariel

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Ariel Weisberg <ariel@...>
Date: Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 12:18 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

Hi,

Agree. It's an implicit requirement IMO, but I see people (sometimes me) forgetting it at both contribution and review time.

Ariel

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021, at 12:14 PM, rschlussel via lists.prestodb.io wrote:

Hi everyone,

It’s come up a few times recently where new functions have been added without documentation, which makes them not very usable.  Since it’s much easier to ensure that documentation gets written if it’s done when the feature is added, I’d like to propose an update to our commit guidelines to say that new functions, language features, etc. need to have documentation included as part of the PR, and we don’t merge without that documentation.

What do others think?

Rebecca

Re: Adding doc requirement to commit guidelines

Ariel Weisberg

[...]

Re: Nominating Beinan Wang as new committer

Nezih Yigitbasi

Congrats Beinan! Well deserved.

Nezih

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of zluo via lists.prestodb.io <zluo=twitter.com@...>
Date: Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 2:36 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

Hi TSC members,

I'd like to nominate Beinan Wang as a committer. Beinan has been working on Presto for 2+ years. Some of his contributions highlights:

  • Presto Google Cloud Storage(GCS) connector with authentication and authorization
  • Presto Druid connector with aggregation pushdowns
  • bug fixes and support for Parquet and dereference pushdown in Presto

Here are Beinan's whole commits:

Beinan has supported production Presto clusters at Twitter for 2+ years. He is also active in presentations and talks, including:

Per the TSC charter "A Contributor may become a Committer by a majority approval of the existing Committers.", therefore, each TSC member has one vote to cast. Please reply with +1/-1 if you approve/disapprove onboarding Beinan as a committer.

Thanks,

Zhenxiao

--
Bin Fan from phone

Re: Nominating Beinan Wang as new committer

Dipti Borkar

Congrats @Beinan Wang  ! :)

Dipti Borkar
Cofounder & Chief Product Officerahana.io
Chair | Presto Foundation, Community Team
C: 408-512-3394 | T: @dborkar

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of zluo via lists.prestodb.io <zluo=twitter.com@...>
Date: Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 2:36 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Call for Agenda Items for Mar 2, 2021 TSC Meeting

Nezih Yigitbasi

Hey everyone,
If you have any items that you want to bring up in the TSC meeting tomorrow please add them to the agenda by creating a pull request in the prestodb/tsc repo against the Mar 2, 2021 agenda file.

Cheers,
Nezih

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of rongrong100@... <rongrong100@...>
Date: Friday, February 26, 2021 at 1:20 PM

[...]