Date   

Nominating Ariel Weisberg

Andrii Rosa
 

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

Ariel has reviewed 104 PR's with the total of 32109 LoC from 30 authors, 12 of which are external contributors from the community. Ariel provided code review and all required support to land Hive 3.0 integration, a large contribution from the community that had been a major blocker for broader Presto adoption.
Pull requests reviewed and accepted by Ariel meet the community standard. In those cases when Ariel didn't have enough context to provide a code review he has been able to identify area owners and loop them into the review process.

As his personal contributions Ariel:
  • Added support for more fine grained partitioning strategies to better handle skewed queries
  • Improved memory utilization reporting and memory limits enforcement
  • Optimized the memory footprint of RemoteExchangeOperator
  • Migrated CI from Travis to Github Actions when the project was blocked on Travis allowing us to save hundreds of thousands on CI and improving test runtime and stability
  • Restored the lost Docker containers used for product and integration testing and reenabled these tests on CI
  • Added the blog to the web site, solicited, edited, and reviewed many of the blog posts
  • Ensured the web site continues to run and deploy throughout various infrastructure changes
  • Maintained the GH organization memberships and permissions and other integrations

Please respond whether you support Ariel as a committer or a TSC member or both.


Re: Github Status Checks

Maria Basmanova
 

+1

 

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io" <tdm=fb.com@...>
Reply-To: Tim Meehan <tdm@...>
Date: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 8:49 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] Github Status Checks

 

Hello,

 

As mentioned in the TSC meeting today, I’d like to enable the Github status checks requirement to the master branch, which means status checks must pass before a PR can be merged.  This is to prevent accidental merge of a failing test into the master branch, or to prevent known failing tests from affecting other PRs.  If there’s unrelated flaky tests, then the idea is we should fix these tests or mark them as disabled.

 

Documentation on Github status checks are here: https://docs.github.com/en/github/administering-a-repository/about-protected-branches#require-status-checks-before-merging

 

Please give this a +1 if you agree that code should not be merged with known test failures.

 

Thanks

Tim


Github Status Checks

Tim Meehan
 

Hello,

 

As mentioned in the TSC meeting today, I’d like to enable the Github status checks requirement to the master branch, which means status checks must pass before a PR can be merged.  This is to prevent accidental merge of a failing test into the master branch, or to prevent known failing tests from affecting other PRs.  If there’s unrelated flaky tests, then the idea is we should fix these tests or mark them as disabled.

 

Documentation on Github status checks are here: https://docs.github.com/en/github/administering-a-repository/about-protected-branches#require-status-checks-before-merging

 

Please give this a +1 if you agree that code should not be merged with known test failures.

 

Thanks

Tim


Call for agenda items for May 4th, 2021 TSC meeting

Tim Meehan
 

Hello,

 

If you have any items that you would like to bring up in the TSC meeting tomorrow, please add them to the agenda by creating a pull request against the May 4th file.

 

Thank you,

Tim

 


Re: Conformance program working group

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>
 

Hi Team,

Heads up - there were some issues with signups for this new mailing list last week. These have been fixed as of today, so please let me know if you have any issues adding yourself to this list.

Thank you!
Gale
--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795


On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 1:09 PM Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io <tdm=fb.com@...> wrote:

Hello,

 

We would like to get started with a formation of a new working group under the technical charter of Presto.  The purpose of this working group is to guide the development and implementation of a conformance program which will aim to define what it is a conforming Presto implementation, develop an automated test suite to verify if a an implementation is truly in conformance, and creating a process for engines to verify their conformance.

 

To establish this, the working group will be meeting regularly, posting updates to the TSC on a regular basis, and meeting regularly to help define some of the goals listed above.  This working group will be available for anyone to attend.

 

I have attached a new template to get started with the formation of this working group.  This establishes how the working group will operate, and it requires an approval from voting members of the TSC.

 

https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/pull/62

 

Please leave any feedback you have for this template by requesting changes on the PR.  Once consensus is reached and it’s been approved, we’ll then proceed to collect nominations for a chair for the working group.  Then, once a chair has been elected from the nominees, the working group will commence and begin working on solving the problems outlined above.

 

In the meantime, a mailing list for this group has been created.  It’s available here:

 

https://lists.prestodb.io/g/presto-conformance-wg

 

If you’re interested in joining this effort and helping to solve the questions outlined above, please add yourself to this list.  It’s also not necessary to be a member of the TSC—anyone may join.

 

Thank you
Tim

 

 

 


Conformance program working group

Tim Meehan
 

Hello,

 

We would like to get started with a formation of a new working group under the technical charter of Presto.  The purpose of this working group is to guide the development and implementation of a conformance program which will aim to define what it is a conforming Presto implementation, develop an automated test suite to verify if a an implementation is truly in conformance, and creating a process for engines to verify their conformance.

 

To establish this, the working group will be meeting regularly, posting updates to the TSC on a regular basis, and meeting regularly to help define some of the goals listed above.  This working group will be available for anyone to attend.

 

I have attached a new template to get started with the formation of this working group.  This establishes how the working group will operate, and it requires an approval from voting members of the TSC.

 

https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/pull/62

 

Please leave any feedback you have for this template by requesting changes on the PR.  Once consensus is reached and it’s been approved, we’ll then proceed to collect nominations for a chair for the working group.  Then, once a chair has been elected from the nominees, the working group will commence and begin working on solving the problems outlined above.

 

In the meantime, a mailing list for this group has been created.  It’s available here:

 

https://lists.prestodb.io/g/presto-conformance-wg

 

If you’re interested in joining this effort and helping to solve the questions outlined above, please add yourself to this list.  It’s also not necessary to be a member of the TSC—anyone may join.

 

Thank you
Tim

 

 

 


Call for agenda items for April 13, 2021 TSC meeting

Tim Meehan
 

Hello,

 

If you have any items that you would like to bring up in the TSC meeting tomorrow, please add them to the agenda by creating a pull request against the April 13th agenda file.

 

Thank you,

Tim


Re: Presto Foundation TSC Chair Election

Girish Baliga
 

Congratulations, Tim! Looking forward to working with you on Presto technical roadmap and community!


On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 6:38 AM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Presto Foundation,

The 2021 TSC chair election has concluded, and the results are in! Tim Meehan has been elected as the new Presto Foundation TSC chair for 2021. Congratulations, Tim!

Thank you,
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795


Presto TSC April Meeting

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>
 

Presto Foundation Technical Steering Committee,

The April meeting has been moved from April 6 to April 13 at 9 a.m. Pacific Time. See you then!

Thank you
Gale
--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795


Presto Foundation TSC Chair Election

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>
 

Presto Foundation,

The 2021 TSC chair election has concluded, and the results are in! Tim Meehan has been elected as the new Presto Foundation TSC chair for 2021. Congratulations, Tim!

Thank you,
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795


Re: Presto TSC Chair Call for Nominations

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>
 

Hi All,

This is a gentle reminder that this is the last day to submit nominations for this position. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!
Gale
--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795


On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 5:58 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Presto Foundation Technical Steering Committee,

Our TSC Chair, Nezih Yibitbasi, has resigned from his role as chair to focus on new work priorities. The role is now open for nominations, and the election timeline is listed below. Please submit any nominees for this position at the below link. Nominations will be accepted for one week, after which the voting process will start. 

  • Chair term: 5 April 2021 through 31 December 2021
  • Election cycle
    • Nomination period: 19 March through 25 March
    • Voting period: 26 March through 3 April
    • Results announced: 5 April
Thank you!
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795


Re: Nominating James Petty as new committer

rschlussel@...
 

Apparently he’s already on this list .

Gale- can you add him as a committer on github?  Also, I believe Beinan still needs to be added as well.

 

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of rschlussel via lists.prestodb.io <rschlussel=fb.com@...>
Date: Monday, March 22, 2021 at 9:53 AM
To: Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, zluo@... <zluo@...>
Cc: Tim Meehan <tdm@...>, Shixuan Fan <shixuan@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-tsc] Nominating James Petty as new committer

That’s 9 votes, which is a majority.  Congratulations to James! What’s his email so we can make sure he gets added to this list?

 

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 11:41 PM
To: zluo@... <zluo@...>
Cc: Tim Meehan <tdm@...>, Shixuan Fan <shixuan@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-tsc] Nominating James Petty as new committer

+1

 

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:36 PM zluo via lists.prestodb.io <zluo=twitter.com@...> wrote:

+1

 

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 5:32 PM Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io <tdm=fb.com@...> wrote:

+1

 

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Shixuan Fan via lists.prestodb.io <shixuan=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 4:58 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] Nominating James Petty as new committer

Hi TSC members,

 

I'd like to nominate James Petty as a committer. James has been working on Presto for a little over 2 years, first as part of the AWS Athena team and now as a member of the EMR performance team. Some of his contribution highlights include:


* Reducing sources of lock contention throughout the engine (prestodb#15509, prestodb#15477)

* Reducing coordinator heap pressure from Glue metastore partitions (prestodb#15389)

* Various bug fixes, including a fix for a long standing accounting issue with memory revoking (prestodb#15569)

* Implementing spill to disk compression and encryption (prestodb#12617)

* making query result GZIP compression configurable (prestodb#15393)


The full list of his commits can be found here: https://github.com/prestodb/presto/commits?author=pettyjamesm

Per the TSC charter "A Contributor may become a Committer by a majority approval of the existing Committers.", therefore, each TSC member has one vote to cast. Please reply with +1/-1 if you approve/disapprove onboarding James as a committer. 

 

Thanks,

Shixuan


Re: Nominating James Petty as new committer

rschlussel@...
 

That’s 9 votes, which is a majority.  Congratulations to James! What’s his email so we can make sure he gets added to this list?

 

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 11:41 PM
To: zluo@... <zluo@...>
Cc: Tim Meehan <tdm@...>, Shixuan Fan <shixuan@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-tsc] Nominating James Petty as new committer

+1

 

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:36 PM zluo via lists.prestodb.io <zluo=twitter.com@...> wrote:

+1

 

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 5:32 PM Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io <tdm=fb.com@...> wrote:

+1

 

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Shixuan Fan via lists.prestodb.io <shixuan=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 4:58 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] Nominating James Petty as new committer

Hi TSC members,

 

I'd like to nominate James Petty as a committer. James has been working on Presto for a little over 2 years, first as part of the AWS Athena team and now as a member of the EMR performance team. Some of his contribution highlights include:

* Reducing sources of lock contention throughout the engine (prestodb#15509, prestodb#15477)

* Reducing coordinator heap pressure from Glue metastore partitions (prestodb#15389)

* Various bug fixes, including a fix for a long standing accounting issue with memory revoking (prestodb#15569)

* Implementing spill to disk compression and encryption (prestodb#12617)

* making query result GZIP compression configurable (prestodb#15393)

The full list of his commits can be found here: https://github.com/prestodb/presto/commits?author=pettyjamesm

Per the TSC charter "A Contributor may become a Committer by a majority approval of the existing Committers.", therefore, each TSC member has one vote to cast. Please reply with +1/-1 if you approve/disapprove onboarding James as a committer. 

 

Thanks,

Shixuan


Presto TSC Chair Call for Nominations

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>
 

Presto Foundation Technical Steering Committee,

Our TSC Chair, Nezih Yibitbasi, has resigned from his role as chair to focus on new work priorities. The role is now open for nominations, and the election timeline is listed below. Please submit any nominees for this position at the below link. Nominations will be accepted for one week, after which the voting process will start. 

  • Chair term: 5 April 2021 through 31 December 2021
  • Election cycle
    • Nomination period: 19 March through 25 March
    • Voting period: 26 March through 3 April
    • Results announced: 5 April
Thank you!
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795


Re: Resignation from the TSC chair role

Dipti Borkar
 

Nezih, pleasure working with you and collaborating on so many projects. 
Good luck with your next gig at Facebook!  You will certainly be missed!  

best wishes
Dipti 


Dipti Borkar 
Cofounder & Chief Product Officerahana.io 
Chair | Presto Foundation, Community Team
C: 408-512-3394 | T: @dborkar 


On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 3:32 PM zluo via lists.prestodb.io <zluo=twitter.com@...> wrote:

So nice working with you, Nezih. Thank you for your big contribution to the community. 

We are missing you. May you the best!

Thanks,
Zhenxiao

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 1:55 PM Girish Baliga via lists.prestodb.io <baliga=uber.com@...> wrote:
Thanks a lot for your leadership and extensive contributions to the Presto project and community over the last several years, Nezih. You will be missed a lot.

All the best with your next adventure at Facebook!

Best,
Girish

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 1:36 PM Nezih Yigitbasi via lists.prestodb.io <nezihy=fb.com@...> wrote:
Hey everyone,
Effective today I am stepping down from the TSC chair role as I will no longer be working on the Presto project. It was an honor for me to serve as the chair & I really appreciated the good partnership with you all. Gale will help kick off the process soon to elect a new TSC chair.

I am sure Presto will keep rocking!

Cheers!
Nezih


Re: Resignation from the TSC chair role

Bin Fan
 

Thanks Nezih for your service for Presto and the foundation!

Wish you the best in your new project!

- Bin


On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 3:32 PM zluo via lists.prestodb.io <zluo=twitter.com@...> wrote:

So nice working with you, Nezih. Thank you for your big contribution to the community. 

We are missing you. May you the best!

Thanks,
Zhenxiao

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 1:55 PM Girish Baliga via lists.prestodb.io <baliga=uber.com@...> wrote:
Thanks a lot for your leadership and extensive contributions to the Presto project and community over the last several years, Nezih. You will be missed a lot.

All the best with your next adventure at Facebook!

Best,
Girish

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 1:36 PM Nezih Yigitbasi via lists.prestodb.io <nezihy=fb.com@...> wrote:
Hey everyone,
Effective today I am stepping down from the TSC chair role as I will no longer be working on the Presto project. It was an honor for me to serve as the chair & I really appreciated the good partnership with you all. Gale will help kick off the process soon to elect a new TSC chair.

I am sure Presto will keep rocking!

Cheers!
Nezih




Re: Resignation from the TSC chair role

zluo@...
 


So nice working with you, Nezih. Thank you for your big contribution to the community. 

We are missing you. May you the best!

Thanks,
Zhenxiao

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 1:55 PM Girish Baliga via lists.prestodb.io <baliga=uber.com@...> wrote:
Thanks a lot for your leadership and extensive contributions to the Presto project and community over the last several years, Nezih. You will be missed a lot.

All the best with your next adventure at Facebook!

Best,
Girish

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 1:36 PM Nezih Yigitbasi via lists.prestodb.io <nezihy=fb.com@...> wrote:
Hey everyone,
Effective today I am stepping down from the TSC chair role as I will no longer be working on the Presto project. It was an honor for me to serve as the chair & I really appreciated the good partnership with you all. Gale will help kick off the process soon to elect a new TSC chair.

I am sure Presto will keep rocking!

Cheers!
Nezih


Re: Resignation from the TSC chair role

Girish Baliga
 

Thanks a lot for your leadership and extensive contributions to the Presto project and community over the last several years, Nezih. You will be missed a lot.

All the best with your next adventure at Facebook!

Best,
Girish

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 1:36 PM Nezih Yigitbasi via lists.prestodb.io <nezihy=fb.com@...> wrote:
Hey everyone,
Effective today I am stepping down from the TSC chair role as I will no longer be working on the Presto project. It was an honor for me to serve as the chair & I really appreciated the good partnership with you all. Gale will help kick off the process soon to elect a new TSC chair.

I am sure Presto will keep rocking!

Cheers!
Nezih


Resignation from the TSC chair role

Nezih Yigitbasi
 

Hey everyone,
Effective today I am stepping down from the TSC chair role as I will no longer be working on the Presto project. It was an honor for me to serve as the chair & I really appreciated the good partnership with you all. Gale will help kick off the process soon to elect a new TSC chair.

I am sure Presto will keep rocking!

Cheers!
Nezih


Re: Nominating James Petty as new committer

Andrii Rosa
 

+1

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:36 PM zluo via lists.prestodb.io <zluo=twitter.com@...> wrote:
+1

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 5:32 PM Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io <tdm=fb.com@...> wrote:

+1

 

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Shixuan Fan via lists.prestodb.io <shixuan=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 4:58 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] Nominating James Petty as new committer

Hi TSC members,

 

I'd like to nominate James Petty as a committer. James has been working on Presto for a little over 2 years, first as part of the AWS Athena team and now as a member of the EMR performance team. Some of his contribution highlights include:


* Reducing sources of lock contention throughout the engine (prestodb#15509, prestodb#15477)

* Reducing coordinator heap pressure from Glue metastore partitions (prestodb#15389)

* Various bug fixes, including a fix for a long standing accounting issue with memory revoking (prestodb#15569)

* Implementing spill to disk compression and encryption (prestodb#12617)

* making query result GZIP compression configurable (prestodb#15393)


The full list of his commits can be found here: https://github.com/prestodb/presto/commits?author=pettyjamesm

Per the TSC charter "A Contributor may become a Committer by a majority approval of the existing Committers.", therefore, each TSC member has one vote to cast. Please reply with +1/-1 if you approve/disapprove onboarding James as a committer. 

 

Thanks,

Shixuan

81 - 100 of 300