Date

Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

yingsu00@...

+1
Sorry I was late on the vote, but congrats @Arun Thirupathi!

Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

jamessun@...

Thanks for all the votes! We have reached the majority of the consensus now (9 affirmative ones out of 17 committers). Congrats @Arun Thirupathi on becoming a committer!

Thanks

James

From: James Petty <petty.jamesm@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 3:29 PM
To: James Sun <jamessun@...>
Cc: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-dev] [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

+1

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:37 PM jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...> wrote:

Hi Presto committers,

I would like to nominate Arun Thirupathi (github ID: arunthirupathi) as a Presto committer. Arun has been contributing a lot to the Presto ORC reader and writer. He is now one of the few experts in the Presto community having a deep grasp of file formats.

In Presto, Arun worked extensively on ORC support and is an expert in the columnar file formats. Arun also worked on Presto core and has contributed to multiple modules in Presto. Arun improves the code by constant refactoring, adding additional tests and improving the documentation of Presto. Arun has reviewed most changes to the columnar file format. Arun has reviewed changes from different contributors and provides quality feedback.

In addition, Arun is not new to open source. Arun was an active member of Voldemort, a distributed key/value store that was once popular.

In details, Arun has

  • 48 commits
  • 10K lines of addition and 4K lines of removal
  • 30+ PR reviews and 140+ review comments

The major contributions include:

  1. Rewrote the ORC dictionary writer to improve performance by 3X.
  2. Improve the performance of queries that use Map functions like MAP_AGG, ELEMENT_AT by introducing lazy hash tables in Presto.
  3. Improved the IO performance of Presto ORC reader and writer by introducing new layouts, configurable tail sizes.
  4. Optimized the dictionary writer performance by using chunked memory, optimized data structure.
  5. Fixed multiple bugs in presto-orc like support for stripes with 2 billion rows, IO errors are masked, Hive filter pushdown bugs.
  6. Improved columnar statistics memory efficiency.
  7. Simplified the presto-orc code by constant refactoring.
  8. Maintaining/Upgrading dependency of presto like orc-protobuf, fastutil, hive-apache

Please reply to this email to vote.

Thanks

James

Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

James Petty

[...]

zluo@...

+1

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 2:31 PM <beinan@...> wrote:
+1

Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

Ted Dunning

Who is franchised to vote for committers

From: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 2:38 PM
To: beinan@... <beinan@...>
Cc: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...>

+1

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 5:31 PM <beinan@...> wrote:

+1

Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

Andrii Rosa

+1

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 5:31 PM <beinan@...> wrote:
+1

Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

beinan@...

+1

Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

From: presto-tsc-private@... <presto-tsc-private@...> on behalf of James Sun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 12:38 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>, presto-tsc-voting@... <presto-tsc-voting@...>, shixuanfan.dabottle@... <shixuanfan.dabottle@...>, Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc-private] [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

[...]

Bin Fan

+1

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 9:37 AM jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...> wrote:

[...]

Re: Presto TSC Meeting - October 5th, 2021

Brian Warner <bwarner@...>

Hi Jim,

Meeting info can be found on the TSC github repo, in the meeting meeting agenda document: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2021-10-05.md

Best,
Brian

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 9:24 PM Jim Apple via lists.prestodb.io <jimapple=fb.com@...> wrote:
I'm new. What is the link to the videoconference?

--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation

Re: Presto TSC Meeting - October 5th, 2021

Jim Apple

I'm new. What is the link to the videoconference?

Presto TSC Meeting - October 5th, 2021

Tim Meehan

The next Presto TSC meeting will be tomorrow, October 5th at 9am Pacifc/12pm Eastern time.

TSC meetings are open to the entire technical community, and are meant to be a forum to discuss technical direction, community concerns, and bring up new ideas.

If you’d like to bring up a topic for the TSC, please send a PR to the agenda here: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2021-10-05.md

Tim

presto-tsc => presto-dev

Tim Meehan

Hi all,

tl;dr To better reflect the purpose and encourage more active discussion on technical matters, I’ve renamed the presto-tsc mailing list to presto-dev.  It was never a list pertaining only to the TSC, it is a list for the entire technical community to discuss the development of Presto

Emails to presto-tsc will now automatically be redirected to presto-dev.  Any URLs referencing the lists page also automatically redirect to presto-dev.

What sort of discussions do we want on presto-dev?

We want this list to be place where people discuss significant work on the project, questions on the status of any ongoing work, or concerns around the community and technical direction.  Here are some examples of emails I’d love to see more of:

  • Why is the default maximum page size set to X?
  • Proposal to introduce X to Presto’s built-in types
  • Support for <INSERT LANGUAGE FEATURE>

I’m excited looking forward to seeing more life in this list and more technical discussions. :-)

Tim

Request for early feedback re: how we build presto

Costin Cozianu

Hello all,

I am new to this list, but, as way of introduction I'm the guy inside facebook who more or less is guilty if presto releases don't show up in time -- most likely the build/test pipeline would have broke somehow, usually the credit should go when things go well, to the "release oncall" which is a larger rotation of facebook engineers.

TLDR: we need to change how we build presto and I am asking for any and all contribution to coming up with the best way to move forward,

I have a proposal to change things, not because I like change (I rather don't), but because the current situation is far from ideal and if continued in the current form things will break in the future. Even if there's no very immediate danger of things breaking, it's better to discuss things now well ahead of the breakage so that we won't have to discuss it when things break.

I intend to ask the tsc to discuss it more in depth at the next month's  TSC meeting but here's the document that I started (it's early and I expect there's many thing may need to change or things that I have missed).

Thank you,
Costin

Call for agenda items for September 14, 2021 TSC meeting

Tim Meehan

Hello,

If you have any items that you would like to bring up in the TSC meeting tomorrow, please add them to the agenda by creating a pull request against the agenda file.

Thank you,

Tim

Re: Company affiliations of TSC members

Tim Meehan

Hi Oliver,

That’s a good idea.

I’ve added a companies tab to the wiki with my own current knowledge of the employment of TSC voting members.  TSC voting members can edit this table to self-report their current employment there if they wish to make this known to the TSC--likewise, during a vote, all TSC voting members are free to let the TSC know of any changes in related companies makeup.

Tim

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of oliverjacob73 via lists.prestodb.io <oliverjacob73=yahoo.com@...>
Date: Friday, August 13, 2021 at 2:35 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] Company affiliations of TSC members

I was reading through the TSC charter document and noticed that the voting process changes once there are at least 6 companies represented in the TSC. I was also looking at https://github.com/prestodb/presto/wiki/committers and I can see who is in the TSC, but I can't tell which companies they represent. Would it make sense to list the company affiliations of each of the members?

Re: Presto Kubernetes Operator

Dipti Borkar

This is very exciting to see. BIG Thanks to Hemant and Yugabyte / Falarica team.
Also thanks to Tim to coordinate the process and seeing it through  all the way.

We will be sharing this with the community via a blog and presentation as well.

Best

Dipti Borkar (She/Her)
Cofounder, Chief Product Officer & Chief Evangelist | Ahana
4085123394
ahana.io

On Aug 26, 2021, at 7:34 AM, Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io <tdm=fb.com@...> wrote:

Hello all,

Voting has concluded on accepting a donation of the Presto Kubernetes operator from Hemant Bhanawat the folks at Falarica/Yugabyte, who will be maintaining this code.  The repository is below:

https://github.com/prestodb/presto-kubernetes-operator

I wanted to thank Hemant for this donation and I am excited for the possibilities it will bring to the Presto community.

Tim

From: presto-tsc-voting@... <presto-tsc-voting@...> on behalf of Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io <tdm=fb.com@...>
Date: Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 1:51 PM
To: presto-tsc-voting@... <presto-tsc-voting@...>
Subject: [tsc-voting] Presto Kubernetes Operator

As I’ve discussed with many of you offline, some folks from Yugabyte have developed a very useful Kubernete operator.  They wish to donate this operator to the Presto Foundation.

Given the importance and widespread usage of Kubernetes in many deployments, we would like to vote to accept this donation to the Presto Foundation.

I have created the mirrored repository here.  I also created the first pull request:

https://github.com/prestodb/presto-kubernetes-operator/pull/1

Please vote on the above pull request in the form of Pull Request approval/denial, which renames the operator to reflect its status as a standard Kubernetes operator from the Presto Foundation, and gives the original maintainers continued maintainership access to the repository.  From that point, the maintainers will continue the required renaming of old references to the prior repository, and begin to redirect people to the new repository in the Presto Foundation.

As a reminder, given the current TSC makeup, each TSC voting members has one vote per company.  Specifically, we will be looking for one vote

from Facebook, Twitter, and Alluxio.

Thanks!

Tim