Date   

Presto TSC Meeting - August 2nd, 2022

Tim Meehan
 

The next Presto TSC meeting will be next week, August 2nd at 9am Pacific/12pm Eastern time.

TSC meetings are open to the entire technical community, and are meant to be a forum to discuss technical direction, community concerns, and bring up new ideas.

 

Next meeting we’ll be talking about the Presto Router, a load balancing component that sits in front of multiple Presto clusters to scale out and provide a unified interface.  If you’d like to bring up a topic for the TSC, please send a PR to the agenda here: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2022-08-02.md

 

Tim

 

 

 


Presto TSC Meeting - July 5th, 2022

Tim Meehan
 

The next Presto TSC meeting will be next week, July 5thth at 9am Pacific/12pm Eastern time.

TSC meetings are open to the entire technical community, and are meant to be a forum to discuss technical direction, community concerns, and bring up new ideas.

 

There are no open agenda items for this next meeting yet.  If you’d like to bring up a topic for the TSC, please send a PR to the agenda here: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2022-07-05.md

 

Tim

 

 


Presto TSC Meeting - June 7th, 2022

Tim Meehan
 

The next Presto TSC meeting will be next week, June 7thth at 9am Pacific/12pm Eastern time.

TSC meetings are open to the entire technical community, and are meant to be a forum to discuss technical direction, community concerns, and bring up new ideas.

 

At the next session, we’ll give an update on the Presto Conformance Program, and also review a design for a history-based optimizer.

 

If you’d like to bring up a topic for the TSC, please send a PR to the agenda here: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2022-06-07.md

 

Tim

 

 


Announcing PrestoCon Day [virtual] - July 21!

Ali LeClerc
 

Hi Presto team,

I’m excited to announce our next virtual PrestoCon Day is on July 21! Link to event is here: https://events.linuxfoundation.org/prestocon-day/

As we begin promotions today, I wanted to highlight with this group that the CFP is open and strongly encourage you/your teams to submit a talk: https://events.linuxfoundation.org/prestocon-day/program/cfp/

I also hope that many of you as members will be able to be a sponsor. Details on sponsorships here: https://events.linuxfoundation.org/prestocon-day/sponsor/

Looking forward to another great event. Please reach out if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Ali

photo

Ali LeClerc
Sr. Director of Marketing, Ahana | 
Presto Community Outreach Chair


Re: [presto-tsc-private] Nominate Nikhil as Presto Committer

Zhenxiao Luo
 


+1


On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 4:35 AM Bin Fan via lists.prestodb.io <binfan=alluxio.com@...> wrote:
+1

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 1:28 PM Rebecca Schlussel via lists.prestodb.io <rschlussel=fb.com@...> wrote:

+1

 

From: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...> on behalf of jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 4:02 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>, presto-tsc-voting@... <presto-tsc-voting@...>
Subject: [presto-dev] Nominate Nikhil as Presto Committer

Hi Presto TSC members,

I would like to nominate Nikhil Collooru (github ID: NikhilCollooru) as a Presto committer. Nikhil has been contributing to Presto for close to 3 years now. He worked in different areas and contributed to multiple modules. He has good knowledge in code related to metastore, file listing, split generation, split scheduling, hive writer, task lifecycle, etc. He actively reviews PRs and provide quality feedback.

 

Here are some detailed stats on his contribution:

- 98 commits

- 64k lines of addition, 52k lines of removal

- 69 PR reviews, 199 review comments

 

Some of his major contributions (in chronological order):

- Refactored and modularized presto-orc into an independent module

- Introduced versioned metastore partition caching

- Added support for reading manifest and avoid listFiles call in coordinator

- Improved SOFT_AFFINITY strategy to be more resilient to node downtime

- Added support for returning partial results

- Reduced the number of HdfsConfiguration copies and thereby reduce the coordinator CPU utilization

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

Thanks

 

James

--
Bin Fan from phone


Re: [presto-tsc-private] Nominate Nikhil as Presto Committer

Bin Fan
 

+1

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 1:28 PM Rebecca Schlussel via lists.prestodb.io <rschlussel=fb.com@...> wrote:

+1

 

From: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...> on behalf of jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 4:02 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>, presto-tsc-voting@... <presto-tsc-voting@...>
Subject: [presto-dev] Nominate Nikhil as Presto Committer

Hi Presto TSC members,

I would like to nominate Nikhil Collooru (github ID: NikhilCollooru) as a Presto committer. Nikhil has been contributing to Presto for close to 3 years now. He worked in different areas and contributed to multiple modules. He has good knowledge in code related to metastore, file listing, split generation, split scheduling, hive writer, task lifecycle, etc. He actively reviews PRs and provide quality feedback.

 

Here are some detailed stats on his contribution:

- 98 commits

- 64k lines of addition, 52k lines of removal

- 69 PR reviews, 199 review comments

 

Some of his major contributions (in chronological order):

- Refactored and modularized presto-orc into an independent module

- Introduced versioned metastore partition caching

- Added support for reading manifest and avoid listFiles call in coordinator

- Improved SOFT_AFFINITY strategy to be more resilient to node downtime

- Added support for returning partial results

- Reduced the number of HdfsConfiguration copies and thereby reduce the coordinator CPU utilization

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

Thanks

 

James

--
Bin Fan from phone


Re: Nominate Nikhil as Presto Committer

rschlussel@...
 

+1

 

From: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...> on behalf of jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 4:02 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>, presto-tsc-voting@... <presto-tsc-voting@...>
Subject: [presto-dev] Nominate Nikhil as Presto Committer

Hi Presto TSC members,

I would like to nominate Nikhil Collooru (github ID: NikhilCollooru) as a Presto committer. Nikhil has been contributing to Presto for close to 3 years now. He worked in different areas and contributed to multiple modules. He has good knowledge in code related to metastore, file listing, split generation, split scheduling, hive writer, task lifecycle, etc. He actively reviews PRs and provide quality feedback.

 

Here are some detailed stats on his contribution:

- 98 commits

- 64k lines of addition, 52k lines of removal

- 69 PR reviews, 199 review comments

 

Some of his major contributions (in chronological order):

- Refactored and modularized presto-orc into an independent module

- Introduced versioned metastore partition caching

- Added support for reading manifest and avoid listFiles call in coordinator

- Improved SOFT_AFFINITY strategy to be more resilient to node downtime

- Added support for returning partial results

- Reduced the number of HdfsConfiguration copies and thereby reduce the coordinator CPU utilization

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

Thanks

 

James


Nominate Nikhil as Presto Committer

jamessun@...
 

Hi Presto TSC members,

I would like to nominate Nikhil Collooru (github ID: NikhilCollooru) as a Presto committer. Nikhil has been contributing to Presto for close to 3 years now. He worked in different areas and contributed to multiple modules. He has good knowledge in code related to metastore, file listing, split generation, split scheduling, hive writer, task lifecycle, etc. He actively reviews PRs and provide quality feedback.

 

Here are some detailed stats on his contribution:

- 98 commits

- 64k lines of addition, 52k lines of removal

- 69 PR reviews, 199 review comments

 

Some of his major contributions (in chronological order):

- Refactored and modularized presto-orc into an independent module

- Introduced versioned metastore partition caching

- Added support for reading manifest and avoid listFiles call in coordinator

- Improved SOFT_AFFINITY strategy to be more resilient to node downtime

- Added support for returning partial results

- Reduced the number of HdfsConfiguration copies and thereby reduce the coordinator CPU utilization

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

Thanks

 

James


Question regarding commit > Revert "Improve listing performance of Hudi tables" on release-0.272 (for Presto 0.272.1)

Chatterjee, Ankush
 

Hi,

 

This is regarding the commit https://github.com/prestodb/presto/pull/17706.

As it is commented on the PR, this is being reverted as  it is breaking a connector.

Could we please know which connector was it breaking and will this revert be merged to mainline too?

 

Thanks,

Ankush.

 


Presto TSC Meeting - April 12th, 2022

Tim Meehan
 

 The next Presto TSC meeting will be next week, April 12th at 9am Pacific/12pm Eastern time.

TSC meetings are open to the entire technical community, and are meant to be a forum to discuss technical direction, community concerns, and bring up new ideas.

 

If you’d like to bring up a topic for the TSC, please send a PR to the agenda here: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2022-04-12.md

 

Tim

 


Re: Presto TSC Meeting - March 8th, 2022

Tim Meehan
 

Hey folks, there were no agenda items today, so cancelling today’s meeting.  See you next month.

 

Tim

 

From: Tim Meehan <tdm@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2022 at 11:18 AM
To: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...>
Subject: Presto TSC Meeting - March 8th, 2022

 The next Presto TSC meeting will be next week, Mar 8nd at 9am Pacific/12pm Eastern time.

TSC meetings are open to the entire technical community, and are meant to be a forum to discuss technical direction, community concerns, and bring up new ideas.

 

If you’d like to bring up a topic for the TSC, please send a PR to the agenda here: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2022-03-08.md

 

Tim


Presto TSC Meeting - March 8th, 2022

Tim Meehan
 

 The next Presto TSC meeting will be next week, Mar 8nd at 9am Pacific/12pm Eastern time.

TSC meetings are open to the entire technical community, and are meant to be a forum to discuss technical direction, community concerns, and bring up new ideas.

 

If you’d like to bring up a topic for the TSC, please send a PR to the agenda here: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2022-03-08.md

 

Tim


TSC Elections 2021 results

Tim Meehan
 

Hello all,

 

The election has concluded, and the new TSC consists of:

 

  • Bin Fan
  • James Sun
  • Rebecca Schlussel
  • Rongrong Zhong
  • Tim Meehan
  • Ying Su
  • Zhenxiao Luo

 

Thanks everyone for submitting your nominations and participating in this election.

 

For this initial class, some term limits last until November of next year, and some extend until May of the following year.  We’ll determine who belongs to which term by random coin toss at our next TSC meeting, after which it will be added to the charter.

 

Thank you

Tim

 

From: Tim Meehan <tdm@...>
Date: Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 11:11 PM
To: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...>
Subject: Call for nominations - TSC Elections - 2021

Hello all,

 

Tl;dr: we’re now accepting nominations for the next TSC class.  Please see the TSC README to see instructions on how you can submit a nomination to the TSC.

 

To begin with, I wanted to make an announcement that tsc#68 has been merged.  Just to summarize, the main changes to the TSC were:

 

  1. Most votes become lazy consensus votes.
  2. New committers now are voted in by TSC members, not the broad set of committers.
  3. TSC members now have term limits, with elections occurring every half year for roughly half the TSC.
  4. The new TSC group will consist of a smaller pool of individuals (7, rather than the current group of 15).

 

The idea behind these changes were to reduce friction points from participation among committers and TSC members, namely: removing the high burden of voting required to vote in new committers, allowing for lazy consensus for most votes, and reducing the TSC size to make it a smaller, focused and more agile group.

 

With these changes being accepted and merged, the time has now come to vote in our next set of TSC members.

 

The process will work as follows:

 

  1. Today, we start accepting nominations for TSC membership.  By current rules, TSC members must be committers.  The instructions are found on the README for the TSC, and have also been linked on the README for the main project.
  2. Nominations close on Thursday, November 4th, after which we’ll begin the process of voting via OpaVote.
  3. Voting closes on Thursday, November 11th, at which point we’ll have our new TSC class.

 

For details, please see the README above, and the TSC charter.

 

I’m looking forward for the upcoming TSC to help guide the technical project.

 

Tim


Presto TSC Meeting - November 2nd, 2021

Tim Meehan
 

 The next Presto TSC meeting will be tomorrow, November 2nd at 9am Pacific/12pm Eastern time.

TSC meetings are open to the entire technical community, and are meant to be a forum to discuss technical direction, community concerns, and bring up new ideas.

 

If you’d like to bring up a topic for the TSC, please send a PR to the agenda here: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2021-11-02.md

 

Tim

 


Call for nominations - TSC Elections - 2021

Tim Meehan
 

Hello all,

 

Tl;dr: we’re now accepting nominations for the next TSC class.  Please see the TSC README to see instructions on how you can submit a nomination to the TSC.

 

To begin with, I wanted to make an announcement that tsc#68 has been merged.  Just to summarize, the main changes to the TSC were:

 

  1. Most votes become lazy consensus votes.
  2. New committers now are voted in by TSC members, not the broad set of committers.
  3. TSC members now have term limits, with elections occurring every half year for roughly half the TSC.
  4. The new TSC group will consist of a smaller pool of individuals (7, rather than the current group of 15).

 

The idea behind these changes were to reduce friction points from participation among committers and TSC members, namely: removing the high burden of voting required to vote in new committers, allowing for lazy consensus for most votes, and reducing the TSC size to make it a smaller, focused and more agile group.

 

With these changes being accepted and merged, the time has now come to vote in our next set of TSC members.

 

The process will work as follows:

 

  1. Today, we start accepting nominations for TSC membership.  By current rules, TSC members must be committers.  The instructions are found on the README for the TSC, and have also been linked on the README for the main project.
  2. Nominations close on Thursday, November 4th, after which we’ll begin the process of voting via OpaVote.
  3. Voting closes on Thursday, November 11th, at which point we’ll have our new TSC class.

 

For details, please see the README above, and the TSC charter.

 

I’m looking forward for the upcoming TSC to help guide the technical project.

 

Tim


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

yingsu00@...
 

+1
Sorry I was late on the vote, but congrats @Arun Thirupathi!


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

jamessun@...
 

Thanks for all the votes! We have reached the majority of the consensus now (9 affirmative ones out of 17 committers). Congrats @Arun Thirupathi on becoming a committer!

 

Thanks

 

James

 

From: James Petty <petty.jamesm@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 3:29 PM
To: James Sun <jamessun@...>
Cc: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-dev] [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

+1

 

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:37 PM jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...> wrote:

Hi Presto committers,

 

 

I would like to nominate Arun Thirupathi (github ID: arunthirupathi) as a Presto committer. Arun has been contributing a lot to the Presto ORC reader and writer. He is now one of the few experts in the Presto community having a deep grasp of file formats.

 

In Presto, Arun worked extensively on ORC support and is an expert in the columnar file formats. Arun also worked on Presto core and has contributed to multiple modules in Presto. Arun improves the code by constant refactoring, adding additional tests and improving the documentation of Presto. Arun has reviewed most changes to the columnar file format. Arun has reviewed changes from different contributors and provides quality feedback.

 

In addition, Arun is not new to open source. Arun was an active member of Voldemort, a distributed key/value store that was once popular.

 

In details, Arun has

  • 48 commits
  • 10K lines of addition and 4K lines of removal
  • 30+ PR reviews and 140+ review comments

 

The major contributions include:

 

  1. Rewrote the ORC dictionary writer to improve performance by 3X.
  2. Improve the performance of queries that use Map functions like MAP_AGG, ELEMENT_AT by introducing lazy hash tables in Presto.
  3. Improved the IO performance of Presto ORC reader and writer by introducing new layouts, configurable tail sizes.
  4. Optimized the dictionary writer performance by using chunked memory, optimized data structure.
  5. Fixed multiple bugs in presto-orc like support for stripes with 2 billion rows, IO errors are masked, Hive filter pushdown bugs.
  6. Improved columnar statistics memory efficiency.
  7. Simplified the presto-orc code by constant refactoring.
  8. Maintaining/Upgrading dependency of presto like orc-protobuf, fastutil, hive-apache

 

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

 

Thanks

 

James


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

James Petty
 

+1

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:37 PM jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...> wrote:

Hi Presto committers,

 

 

I would like to nominate Arun Thirupathi (github ID: arunthirupathi) as a Presto committer. Arun has been contributing a lot to the Presto ORC reader and writer. He is now one of the few experts in the Presto community having a deep grasp of file formats.

 

In Presto, Arun worked extensively on ORC support and is an expert in the columnar file formats. Arun also worked on Presto core and has contributed to multiple modules in Presto. Arun improves the code by constant refactoring, adding additional tests and improving the documentation of Presto. Arun has reviewed most changes to the columnar file format. Arun has reviewed changes from different contributors and provides quality feedback.

 

In addition, Arun is not new to open source. Arun was an active member of Voldemort, a distributed key/value store that was once popular.

 

In details, Arun has

  • 48 commits
  • 10K lines of addition and 4K lines of removal
  • 30+ PR reviews and 140+ review comments

 

The major contributions include:



  1. Rewrote the ORC dictionary writer to improve performance by 3X.
  2. Improve the performance of queries that use Map functions like MAP_AGG, ELEMENT_AT by introducing lazy hash tables in Presto.
  3. Improved the IO performance of Presto ORC reader and writer by introducing new layouts, configurable tail sizes.
  4. Optimized the dictionary writer performance by using chunked memory, optimized data structure.
  5. Fixed multiple bugs in presto-orc like support for stripes with 2 billion rows, IO errors are masked, Hive filter pushdown bugs.
  6. Improved columnar statistics memory efficiency.
  7. Simplified the presto-orc code by constant refactoring.
  8. Maintaining/Upgrading dependency of presto like orc-protobuf, fastutil, hive-apache

 

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

 

Thanks

 

James


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

zluo@...
 

+1

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 2:31 PM <beinan@...> wrote:
+1


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

Ted Dunning
 

 

Who is franchised to vote for committers

 

From: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 2:38 PM
To: beinan@... <beinan@...>
Cc: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-dev] [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

+1

 

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 5:31 PM <beinan@...> wrote:

+1

1 - 20 of 295