Date

September Presto TSC Meeting Postponed

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>

Presto Foundation Technical Steering Committee,

This month's meeting is postponed, and will be pushed back one week. The calendar invite will be updated shortly.

Thank you
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation

[Proposal] Adding a new top-level project in Presto on GitHub

rongrong100@...

As part of the modernization effort in Facebook, we want to develop a new parser front end. The goals for this new project includes:

* SQL16 compliance

* New language extensions for rich types, streaming, graph process, etc.

* Fully resolved AST

* AST rewriter framework and optimizations

* Fully compatible with current presto-parser

We think a stand-alone project is better because we want to push this to be a more general SQL standard for other SQL-based query processing frameworks as well. But this will still be under the presto org as a Presto Foundation project and we want to ensure this is fully compatible with existing Presto grammar. Please reply if you have any questions or concerns on this project.

[Proposal] Adding presto-query-predictor as a new top-level project in Presto on GitHub

zluo@...

Hi,

We'd like to add presto-query-predictor as a new top level project in Presto.

The Presto query predictor introduces machine learning techniques to provide a quick estimate of resource usage (CPU time and peak memory bytes) of a Presto query. It is achieved by training ML models from historical Presto logs. At Twitter, the project helped with load balancing, traffic management, etc.

Currently, we have open-sourced the project in a separate branch in the twitter-fork presto repo.
https://github.com/twitter-forks/presto/tree/query-predictor/presto-query-predictor
The documentation is served at
https://chunxutang.github.io/presto-query-predictor-docs/
The codebase is written in Python.

Why create a new repo for the project?

Since open source, we have received interests/questions/feature-requests from multiple Presto developers/users. Keeping the project in twitter forked presto branch brings up troubles in: code sharing, Python build process, and feature support.

For example, we don’t have a specific GitHub issue tracker for the project, which makes it not convenient for us to answer questions or feature requests. It’s also cumbersome to create a unified build process for the Python module.

By creating a new repo under Presto umbrella, we could get:
A unified platform to answer questions and feature requests.
A primary repo/branch for releases and Python package maintenance.
An easily discovered codebase for viewing and sharing.
More collaboration with the open-source community of introducing ML techniques to the Presto ecosystem.

Please reply if you have any questions or concerns on this project.

Thanks,
Zhenxiao

Re: [Proposal] Adding a new top-level project in Presto on GitHub

Maria Basmanova

Rongrong,

do you plan to use Java or C++ for this new project?

-Masha

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "rongrong100@..." <rongrong100@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 7:43 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] [Proposal] Adding a new top-level project in Presto on GitHub

As part of the modernization effort in Facebook, we want to develop a new parser front end. The goals for this new project includes:

* SQL16 compliance

* New language extensions for rich types, streaming, graph process, etc.

* Fully resolved AST

* AST rewriter framework and optimizations

* Fully compatible with current presto-parser

We think a stand-alone project is better because we want to push this to be a more general SQL standard for other SQL-based query processing frameworks as well. But this will still be under the presto org as a Presto Foundation project and we want to ensure this is fully compatible with existing Presto grammar. Please reply if you have any questions or concerns on this project.

Re: [Proposal] Adding a new top-level project in Presto on GitHub

rongrong100@...

Our current plan is to use Java. We decided to go with Java rather than C++ because it’s easier to integrate with presto coordinator and java APIs for metadata are well supported while c++ APIs are lacking.

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "rongrong100@..." <rongrong100@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 7:43 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

As part of the modernization effort in Facebook, we want to develop a new parser front end. The goals for this new project includes:

* SQL16 compliance

* New language extensions for rich types, streaming, graph process, etc.

* Fully resolved AST

* AST rewriter framework and optimizations

* Fully compatible with current presto-parser

We think a stand-alone project is better because we want to push this to be a more general SQL standard for other SQL-based query processing frameworks as well. But this will still be under the presto org as a Presto Foundation project and we want to ensure this is fully compatible with existing Presto grammar. Please reply if you have any questions or concerns on this project.

Nominating Venki Korukanti as a Committer

Nezih Yigitbasi

Hey everyone,

Venki (GitHub handle: vkorukanti) has been contributing to the PrestoDB community as a probationary committer since Feb. Here is a highlight of his contributions:

- Commits: 31 commits 8,778 ++ 802 --
- Major features
- vectorized parquet reader
- nested column project and filter pushdown for Parquet (in collaboration with Zhenxiao @ Twitter)
- Bug fixes in various areas: planning, execution, and subfield pushdown
- Community
- code reviews and helping users with Parquet/Hive related issues
- Presto meetup talk (Oct 17, 2019)
- Encouraging and providing guidance to Uber Presto/Data team members to contribute to PrestoDB and helps the community grow

Per the TSC charter "A Contributor may become a Committer by a majority approval of the existing Committers.", therefore, each TSC member has one vote to cast. Please reply with +1/-1 if you approve/disapprove onboarding Venki as a committer.

Thanks!
Nezih

Re: Nominating Venki Korukanti as a Committer

zluo@...

+1

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 10:26 AM nezihy via lists.prestodb.io <nezihy=fb.com@...> wrote:
[...]

jamessun@...

Personally, I would love to observe at least another larger PR to show Venki is ready for committership. The major reason behind is due to the design on https://github.com/prestodb/presto/pull/14834 and https://github.com/prestodb/presto/pull/15140. These two PRs to me feel a bit more design flaws.

Thanks

James

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "zluo via lists.prestodb.io" <zluo=twitter.com@...>
Date: Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 12:00 AM
To: Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>
Cc: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-tsc] Nominating Venki Korukanti as a Committer

[...]

Just realized I got the wrong person. Re-checked the Venki’s PRs. I’m supportive.

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "jamessun via lists.prestodb.io" <jamessun=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 11:20 AM
To: "zluo@..." <zluo@...>, Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>
Cc: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "zluo via lists.prestodb.io" <zluo=twitter.com@...>
Date: Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 12:00 AM
To: Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>
Cc: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Wenlei Xie

[...]

Best Regards,
Wenlei Xie (谢文磊)

Email: wenlei.xie@...

Re: Nominating Venki Korukanti as a Committer

Tim Meehan

After scanning through Venki’s commits and issues I am supportive.

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "wenlei.xie@..." <wenlei.xie@...>
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 5:00 PM
To: Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>
Cc: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Wenlei Xie (文磊)

Email: wenlei.xie@...

Re: Nominating Venki Korukanti as a Committer

Shixuan Fan

+1 after skimming through several Venki’s pull requests

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io" <tdm=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 9:36 AM
To: "wenlei.xie@..." <wenlei.xie@...>, Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>
Cc: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

After scanning through Venki’s commits and issues I am supportive.

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "wenlei.xie@..." <wenlei.xie@...>
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 5:00 PM
To: Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>
Cc: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Andrii Rosa

+1 after skimming through Venki’s pull requests

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io" <tdm=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 9:36 AM
To: "wenlei.xie@..." <wenlei.xie@...>, Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>
Cc: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

After scanning through Venki’s commits and issues I am supportive.

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io" <tdm=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 9:36 AM
To: "wenlei.xie@..." <wenlei.xie@...>, Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>
Cc: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

After scanning through Venki’s commits and issues I am supportive.

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "wenlei.xie@..." <wenlei.xie@...>
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 5:00 PM
To: Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>
Cc: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Thank you all. We have a majority approval here and we can conclude the vote. Congrats, Venki!

Cheers,
Nezih

Re: Nominating Venki Korukanti as a Committer

Girish Baliga

Thanks everyone! Congrats, Venki!

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 10:06 AM Nezih Yigitbasi via lists.prestodb.io <nezihy=fb.com@...> wrote:
Thank you all. We have a majority approval here and we can conclude the vote. Congrats, Venki!

Cheers,
Nezih

Nominating Bin Fan as a Committer

jamessun@...

Dear TSC members,

Bin Fan from Alluxio has been contributing to Presto community in the past 10 months. Here, I nominate Bin as a committer with supporting docs listed below. Per the TSC charter "A Contributor may become a Committer by a majority approval of the existing Committers.", therefore, each TSC member has one vote to cast. Please reply with +1/-1 if you approve/disapprove onboarding Bin as a committer.

===== Bin's contributions to the Presto Community =====

Merged Pull Requests to Presto Source Code:

Major contribution:

Other pull requests:

Presto related tutorial or blogs:

Presto related public presentations:

Community service:

  • Presto outreach committee (2020)
  • Assisting users on Presto slack channels

Re: Nominating Bin Fan as a Committer

Wenlei Xie

+1 after skimming through several PR and reviewing the design/implementation challenges.

I would also like to thank Bin (together with Rohit and James) for making RaptorX happen. This brings the latency of shared-nothing architecture (Raptor) to the disaggregated storage architecture (RaptorX with Hive Connector) via carefully engineered cache (Alluxio).

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 3:15 PM jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...> wrote:

[...]

+1. I’ve been working with Bin actively and would vouch for Bin. Alluxio integration makes RaptorX effort much easier, and there are more features like cache quota to come :)