Date

Setting up a bot account for Presto release

Leiqing Cai

Recent Presto releases have been done with automation. For example, there are tools in places to push version-bumping commits, to create release branches, and to collect release notes.
For example: https://github.com/prestodb/presto/commits/release-0.235

The automation tools need a Github Personal Access Token of a committer in order to have the permission to perform those Github actions.
I have been using my token in the tool as a temporary workaround.
This can cause confusion. For example: The PR is shown authored by me but the commit is author by one of my colleagues.
https://github.com/prestodb/presto/pull/14583

Since the tools have now been proven reliable as it has been used for multiple releases. I'm proposing we create a bot account for releases as the principle of the automation.
Committers should and should be the only ones to have the access to the account login and the personal access tokens.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions by how to achieve this type of secret sharing? Maybe there are existing commercially available software that'll allow us to do so?

Thanks!

Best,
Leiqing

Re: Setting up a bot account for Presto release

Chris Aniszczyk

If you want to share credentials, a couple of ideas:

Those have worked well for projects in the past.

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Re: Setting up a bot account for Presto release

Leiqing Cai

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your pointers. I think 1Password seems to be good for our use case.
Could you help us set it up since Linux Foundation is managing the repositories? Or if you can point us to someone who can help?

Thank you very much!

Best,
Leiqing

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 2:01 PM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
[...]

+Gale McCommons can help but you as a team will manage it on your own :)

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 6:04 PM Leiqing Cai <caithagoras@...> wrote:
[...]

Discussions enabled now on prestodb/presto

Chris Aniszczyk

Check it out: https://github.com/prestodb/presto/discussions

This may be a better place than Slack for people to go for help but I'd trial it out first as it's a new GitHub feature.

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Re: Discussions enabled now on prestodb/presto

amitchopra@...

Sharing this with our outreach team as well. Once the TSC is comfortable trying/switching to this, we can help get the word out on various channels to get attention to this channel as needed.

Thanks

Amit Chopra

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "nezihy via lists.prestodb.io" <nezihy=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 12:42 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Wenlei Xie

+1

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 12:42 nezihy via lists.prestodb.io <nezihy=fb.com@...> wrote:
[...]

jamessun@...

+1

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "nezihy via lists.prestodb.io" <nezihy=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 12:42 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Ariel Weisberg

Hi,

Non-binding +1. I think Tim would make a great committer.

Ariel

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, at 3:42 PM, nezihy via lists.prestodb.io wrote:
[...]

rongrong100@...

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 1:07 PM jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...> wrote:

+1

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "nezihy via lists.prestodb.io" <nezihy=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 12:42 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

zluo@...

+1

Thanks,
Zhenxiao

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "nezihy via lists.prestodb.io" <nezihy=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 12:42 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

venki.korukanti@...

+1

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 9:37 PM
To: "venkik@..." <venkik@...>
Cc: James Sun <jamessun@...>, Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>, Rongrong <rongrong100@...>, "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>, "zluo@..." <zluo@...>

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "nezihy via lists.prestodb.io" <nezihy=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 12:42 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Nezih Yigitbasi

Thank you all. We have a majority approval here and we can conclude the vote. I will have Tim added to the tsc mailing list and will update our list of committers.

Cheers,
Nezih

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 9:37 PM
To: "venkik@..." <venkik@...>
Cc: James Sun <jamessun@...>, Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>, Rongrong <rongrong100@...>, "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>, "zluo@..." <zluo@...>

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "nezihy via lists.prestodb.io" <nezihy=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 12:42 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Brian Warner <bwarner@...>

Thanks all, Tim is now on the mailing list.

Best,
Brian

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 9:37 PM
To: "venkik@..." <venkik@...>
Cc: James Sun <jamessun@...>, Nezih Yigitbasi <nezihy@...>, Rongrong <rongrong100@...>, "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>, "zluo@..." <zluo@...>

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "nezihy via lists.prestodb.io" <nezihy=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 12:42 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171

August Presto TSC Meeting

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>

Hi All,

The August occurrence of the Presto TSC meeting will be cancelled. The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 1.

Thank you!
Gale

--
Gale McCommons