Date   

Re: TSC Cap Proposal

Wenlei Xie
 

+1

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 10:35 <nezihy@...> wrote:
Hey everyone,
In our last TSC meeting the idea of capping the TSC came up. After talking with various TSC members most of the folks think that there is value in capping the TSC size. With that we have a proposal for capping the TSC size to 15: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/pull/33

Since this is a proposal for a change in the TSC charter the TSC needs to vote on this change. Per our charter (https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/CHARTER.md) each represented company in the TSC can have one vote to cast. Please respond with +1/-1.

Thanks!
Nezih

--


Presto TSC Code of Conduct

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>
 

Hi Team,

In our last TSC meeting, we discussed a proposed Code of Conduct. This draft is based on the latest LF template. Please take a moment to review, and vote on it's acceptance or rejection, or share any feedback. 


As a reminder, each member company may cast one vote. Please reply-all to this email with a +1/-1 to indicate your vote.

Thank you
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795


Presto CONTRIBUTING.md Update

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>
 

Hi All,

In our latest meeting, we discussed the addition of an initial default CONTRIBUTING.md file. If accepted, this will remove and replace any local CONTRIBUTING.md files with the centralized version. Please take a moment to review, and vote on it's acceptance or rejection, or share any feedback. 


As a reminder, each member company may cast one vote. Please reply-all to this email with a +1/-1 to indicate your vote.

Thank you,
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795


Presto TSC Policies and Procedures

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>
 

Hi Team,

In our last session, we reviewed a proposed update to the TSC Policies and Procedures. In this PR, we've noted the current TSC members, affiliations, and term. Please take a moment to review, and vote on it's acceptance or rejection, or share any feedback. 


This PR requires a vote from the TSC to merge. As a reminder, each represented company may cast one vote. Please reply-all to this email with a +1/-1 to indicate your vote.

Thank you
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795


Re: Renaming presto-tsc to presto-dev

Ariel Weisberg
 

Hi,

I am in favor of this. Nezih didn't think that the dev list and the TSC list should be the same thing. 

I am strongly in favor of transparency and having as few forums as possible for discussion to take place in as possible.

Breaking out user stuff into a separate list makes sense because users are typically not interested in the nitty gritty details of the much smaller development community. However the reverse is usually not true. If someone is invested enough in the community to want to contribute then they also care about the TSC level discussions about process, how the community is going to work, and what technical direction is being voted on.

Ariel

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020, at 1:57 PM, Brian Warner wrote:
Hi all,

In the most recent TSC meeting we discussed renaming this list to "presto-dev".  If you have any concerns with this, please let me know.  Otherwise, I will rename the list on the backend and update references to it.  This will change the lists' address from presto-tsc@... to presto-dev@...

Best,
Brian

--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171


Re: Renaming presto-tsc to presto-dev

Brian Warner <bwarner@...>
 

That sounds good.  For what it's worth, we can keep a separate private list for very sensitive topics and votes (but with the assumption that most discussions would be on the public list).

I'll take care of renaming this tomorrow, if there aren't any objections between now and then.

Best,
Brian

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 9:16 PM Ariel Weisberg <ariel@...> wrote:
Hi,

I am in favor of this. Nezih didn't think that the dev list and the TSC list should be the same thing. 

I am strongly in favor of transparency and having as few forums as possible for discussion to take place in as possible.

Breaking out user stuff into a separate list makes sense because users are typically not interested in the nitty gritty details of the much smaller development community. However the reverse is usually not true. If someone is invested enough in the community to want to contribute then they also care about the TSC level discussions about process, how the community is going to work, and what technical direction is being voted on.

Ariel

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020, at 1:57 PM, Brian Warner wrote:
Hi all,

In the most recent TSC meeting we discussed renaming this list to "presto-dev".  If you have any concerns with this, please let me know.  Otherwise, I will rename the list on the backend and update references to it.  This will change the lists' address from presto-tsc@... to presto-dev@...

Best,
Brian

--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171



--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171


Re: Nominating Leiqing as new committer (again)

rongrong100@...
 

Thanks for all your reply. We've got a majority vote on this proposal so per our charter Leiqing is a new committer in the Presto project. Congratulations to Leiqing!

Rongrong


On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 9:40 PM Zhenxiao Luo <zluo@...> wrote:
+1

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 5:07 PM Shixuan Fan <shixuan@...> wrote:

+1

 

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "rongrong100@..." <rongrong100@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 5:00 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] Nominating Leiqing as new committer (again)

 

I want to nominate Leiqing (github: caithagoras) as a committer for Presto. Leiqing has been working on Presto for more than 2 years. Recently he has become an expert in release verification and led the effort on improving verifier and release process. He also worked extensively on SQL function support.

169 commits  26,051 ++  11,892 --

I previously nominated Leiqing as a new committer in November but there were concerns from some committers. In the past few months Leiqing demonstrated good quality code reviews and gained more in-depth knowledge on core engine code through his work in SQL function. As a result, I want to nominate him again. Please cast your vote by the end of the week (2/7/2020). Thanks!

Rongrong


Re: Nominating Leiqing as new committer (again)

Maria Basmanova
 

Congrats!

 

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "rongrong100@..." <rongrong100@...>
Date: Friday, February 7, 2020 at 2:29 PM
To: Zhenxiao Luo <zluo@...>
Cc: Shixuan Fan <shixuan@...>, "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-tsc] Nominating Leiqing as new committer (again)

 

Thanks for all your reply. We've got a majority vote on this proposal so per our charter Leiqing is a new committer in the Presto project. Congratulations to Leiqing!


Rongrong

 

 

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 9:40 PM Zhenxiao Luo <zluo@...> wrote:

+1

 

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 5:07 PM Shixuan Fan <shixuan@...> wrote:

+1

 

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "rongrong100@..." <rongrong100@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 5:00 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] Nominating Leiqing as new committer (again)

 

I want to nominate Leiqing (github: caithagoras) as a committer for Presto. Leiqing has been working on Presto for more than 2 years. Recently he has become an expert in release verification and led the effort on improving verifier and release process. He also worked extensively on SQL function support.

169 commits  26,051 ++  11,892 --

I previously nominated Leiqing as a new committer in November but there were concerns from some committers. In the past few months Leiqing demonstrated good quality code reviews and gained more in-depth knowledge on core engine code through his work in SQL function. As a result, I want to nominate him again. Please cast your vote by the end of the week (2/7/2020). Thanks!

Rongrong


Presto TSC Meeting on Feb 11

Nezih Yigitbasi
 

Hey folks,
Please feel free to add to agenda items for our TSC meeting tomorrow by creating a pull request against https://github.com/prestodb/tsc

Thanks!
Nezih


Re: Presto TSC Policies and Procedures

Brian Warner <bwarner@...>
 

Hi all,

Just a gentle reminder from today's call, can a representative from each organization represented on the TSC please provide a +1 or -1 on this topic?

I will also bump the other two threads.

Best,
Brian

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:46 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Hi Team,

In our last session, we reviewed a proposed update to the TSC Policies and Procedures. In this PR, we've noted the current TSC members, affiliations, and term. Please take a moment to review, and vote on it's acceptance or rejection, or share any feedback. 


This PR requires a vote from the TSC to merge. As a reminder, each represented company may cast one vote. Please reply-all to this email with a +1/-1 to indicate your vote.

Thank you
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795



--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171


Re: Presto TSC Code of Conduct

Brian Warner <bwarner@...>
 

Hi all,

A gentle reminder from today's call on this thread, can a representative from each organization represented on the TSC please provide a +1 or -1 on this topic?

Best,
Brian

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:43 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Hi Team,

In our last TSC meeting, we discussed a proposed Code of Conduct. This draft is based on the latest LF template. Please take a moment to review, and vote on it's acceptance or rejection, or share any feedback. 


As a reminder, each member company may cast one vote. Please reply-all to this email with a +1/-1 to indicate your vote.

Thank you
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795



--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171


Re: Presto CONTRIBUTING.md Update

Brian Warner <bwarner@...>
 

And finally, a reminder on this thread, can a representative from each organization represented on the TSC please provide a +1 or -1 on this topic?

Best,
Brian

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:45 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Hi All,

In our latest meeting, we discussed the addition of an initial default CONTRIBUTING.md file. If accepted, this will remove and replace any local CONTRIBUTING.md files with the centralized version. Please take a moment to review, and vote on it's acceptance or rejection, or share any feedback. 


As a reminder, each member company may cast one vote. Please reply-all to this email with a +1/-1 to indicate your vote.

Thank you,
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795



--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171


Re: Presto TSC Code of Conduct

zluo@...
 

+1

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 6:08 PM Brian Warner <bwarner@...> wrote:
Hi all,

A gentle reminder from today's call on this thread, can a representative from each organization represented on the TSC please provide a +1 or -1 on this topic?

Best,
Brian

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:43 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Hi Team,

In our last TSC meeting, we discussed a proposed Code of Conduct. This draft is based on the latest LF template. Please take a moment to review, and vote on it's acceptance or rejection, or share any feedback. 


As a reminder, each member company may cast one vote. Please reply-all to this email with a +1/-1 to indicate your vote.

Thank you
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795



--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171


Re: Presto CONTRIBUTING.md Update

zluo@...
 

+1

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 6:08 PM Brian Warner <bwarner@...> wrote:
And finally, a reminder on this thread, can a representative from each organization represented on the TSC please provide a +1 or -1 on this topic?

Best,
Brian

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:45 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Hi All,

In our latest meeting, we discussed the addition of an initial default CONTRIBUTING.md file. If accepted, this will remove and replace any local CONTRIBUTING.md files with the centralized version. Please take a moment to review, and vote on it's acceptance or rejection, or share any feedback. 


As a reminder, each member company may cast one vote. Please reply-all to this email with a +1/-1 to indicate your vote.

Thank you,
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795



--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171


Re: Presto TSC Policies and Procedures

zluo@...
 

-1 for:

suggestions in the PR comments

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 6:07 PM Brian Warner <bwarner@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Just a gentle reminder from today's call, can a representative from each organization represented on the TSC please provide a +1 or -1 on this topic?

I will also bump the other two threads.

Best,
Brian

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:46 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Hi Team,

In our last session, we reviewed a proposed update to the TSC Policies and Procedures. In this PR, we've noted the current TSC members, affiliations, and term. Please take a moment to review, and vote on it's acceptance or rejection, or share any feedback. 


This PR requires a vote from the TSC to merge. As a reminder, each represented company may cast one vote. Please reply-all to this email with a +1/-1 to indicate your vote.

Thank you
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795



--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171


Proposal: Venki Korukanti as Uber representative for TSC

Girish Baliga
 

Hi Team,

Following up on our conversation at the TSC meeting today, I'd like to propose Venki Korukanti as Uber's representative on the Technical Steering Committee with probationary committership for a period of six months. For additional background, Uber got an open slot on the TSC with probationary committership when we joined the foundation, and I'm proposing Venki for this.

Venki is currently collaborating with Zhenxiao Luo on a major rewrite of the Presto Parquet reader, and has made major Uber internal Presto for key projects such as Neutrino. Venki has a strong track record of open source contributions and engagement in systems similar to Presto. He serves on the Apache Drill PMC and has been one of the top contributors on Drill. I think he will add a great outside perspective to the Presto TSC, which will be very valuable to the rest of the community.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please provide your votes for this.

Thanks!
Girish




Re: Proposal: Venki Korukanti as Uber representative for TSC

Brian Warner <bwarner@...>
 

Thanks Girish! 

As with the others, please respond with a +1 or -1, one vote per company represented. 

Best,
Brian

--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
bwarner@...
+1 724 301-6171


On Tue, Feb 11, 2020, 10:00 PM Girish Baliga via Lists.Prestodb.Io <baliga=uber.com@...> wrote:
Hi Team,

Following up on our conversation at the TSC meeting today, I'd like to propose Venki Korukanti as Uber's representative on the Technical Steering Committee with probationary committership for a period of six months. For additional background, Uber got an open slot on the TSC with probationary committership when we joined the foundation, and I'm proposing Venki for this.

Venki is currently collaborating with Zhenxiao Luo on a major rewrite of the Presto Parquet reader, and has made major Uber internal Presto for key projects such as Neutrino. Venki has a strong track record of open source contributions and engagement in systems similar to Presto. He serves on the Apache Drill PMC and has been one of the top contributors on Drill. I think he will add a great outside perspective to the Presto TSC, which will be very valuable to the rest of the community.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please provide your votes for this.

Thanks!
Girish




Re: Proposal: Venki Korukanti as Uber representative for TSC

Girish Baliga
 

+1 for Uber.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 7:39 PM Brian Warner <bwarner@...> wrote:
Thanks Girish! 

As with the others, please respond with a +1 or -1, one vote per company represented. 

Best,
Brian

--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
bwarner@...
+1 724 301-6171

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020, 10:00 PM Girish Baliga via Lists.Prestodb.Io <baliga=uber.com@...> wrote:
Hi Team,

Following up on our conversation at the TSC meeting today, I'd like to propose Venki Korukanti as Uber's representative on the Technical Steering Committee with probationary committership for a period of six months. For additional background, Uber got an open slot on the TSC with probationary committership when we joined the foundation, and I'm proposing Venki for this.

Venki is currently collaborating with Zhenxiao Luo on a major rewrite of the Presto Parquet reader, and has made major Uber internal Presto for key projects such as Neutrino. Venki has a strong track record of open source contributions and engagement in systems similar to Presto. He serves on the Apache Drill PMC and has been one of the top contributors on Drill. I think he will add a great outside perspective to the Presto TSC, which will be very valuable to the rest of the community.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please provide your votes for this.

Thanks!
Girish




Re: Presto TSC Code of Conduct

Jessica Zhang
 

+1 from Alibaba 


------------------Original Mail ------------------
Sender: <presto-tsc@...>
Send Date:Tue Feb 11 18:15:26 2020
Recipients:Brian Warner <bwarner@...>
CC: <presto-tsc@...>
Subject:Re: [presto-tsc] Presto TSC Code of Conduct
+1

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 6:08 PM Brian Warner <bwarner@...> wrote:
Hi all,

A gentle reminder from today's call on this thread, can a representative from each organization represented on the TSC please provide a +1 or -1 on this topic?

Best,
Brian

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:43 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Hi Team,

In our last TSC meeting, we discussed a proposed Code of Conduct. This draft is based on the latest LF template. Please take a moment to review, and vote on it's acceptance or rejection, or share any feedback. 


As a reminder, each member company may cast one vote. Please reply-all to this email with a +1/-1 to indicate your vote.

Thank you
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795



--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171


Re: Presto CONTRIBUTING.md Update

Jessica Zhang
 

+1 from Alibaba

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 6:08 PM Brian Warner <bwarner@...> wrote:
And finally, a reminder on this thread, can a representative from each organization represented on the TSC please provide a +1 or -1 on this topic?

Best,
Brian

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:45 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Hi All,

In our latest meeting, we discussed the addition of an initial default CONTRIBUTING.md file. If accepted, this will remove and replace any local CONTRIBUTING.md files with the centralized version. Please take a moment to review, and vote on it's acceptance or rejection, or share any feedback. 


As a reminder, each member company may cast one vote. Please reply-all to this email with a +1/-1 to indicate your vote.

Thank you,
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795



--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171

41 - 60 of 300