Date

Nominate Ariel as a Committer for Various Repos

jamessun@...

As I’ve discussed with many of you offline, I would love to nominate Ariel Weisberg (https://github.com/aweisberg) to be a committer for the following repositories.

An initial example PR has been created for repo prestodb.github.io:

https://github.com/prestodb/prestodb.github.io/pull/147

Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made huge contribution to the community. This change might also help to scale out PrestoDB’s committership. Please vote on this proposal.

As a reminder, given the current TSC makeup, each TSC voting members has one vote per company.  Specifically, we will be looking for one vote from Facebook, Twitter, and Alluxio.

Thanks!

James

Company affiliations of TSC members

oliverjacob73@...

I was reading through the TSC charter document and noticed that the voting process changes once there are at least 6 companies represented in the TSC. I was also looking at https://github.com/prestodb/presto/wiki/committers and I can see who is in the TSC, but I can't tell which companies they represent. Would it make sense to list the company affiliations of each of the members?

Call for agenda items for Aug 3, 2021 TSC meeting

Tim Meehan

Hello,

If you have any items that you would like to bring up in the TSC meeting tomorrow, please add them to the agenda by creating a pull request against the agenda file.

Thank you,

Tim

回复:[presto-tsc] Call for collaboration: Open Source Roadmap for H2 2021

James (Mingming) Xu

Hi,

This is James from Alibaba, I missed the last email, I will add some to the roadmap.

From: Tim Meehan <tdm@...>
Date: Thursday, June 17, 2021 at 1:27 AM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Call for collaboration: Open Source Roadmap for H2 2021

Hello,

As mentioned in the last TSC meeting, we would like to collaborate and share our plans for the upcoming half.  The steps are the following:

  1. (Now) Collect all planed contributions.  If you have project work that you plan to do in H2, please add it to the following Google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rkZ0vuSVHTyRPAaflG6lAt5K_6djdjTKm-jTJybBhRk/edit?usp=sharing
  2. (Next TSC meeting). We can review this list of projects and have project POCs or representative from their company speak briefly about it at an upcoming TSC meeting.
  3. (By mid-July). All projects in this doc will be converted into Github issues by their POCs.  We’ll collect these issues into a Github milestone, and that is how we’ll publish the roadmap for H2.

I hope this process brings greater transparency to what we’re all working on, and encourages better collaboration by improving visibility into the projects we’re tracking.

Tim

Re: Call for collaboration: Open Source Roadmap for H2 2021

From: Tim Meehan <tdm@...>
Date: Thursday, June 17, 2021 at 1:27 AM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

[...]

Re: [presto-conformance-wg] Presto Conformance Program Chair Election

Rohan Pednekar

Thanks, Gale and foundation members.  I look forward to working with you all and the presto community.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 1:16 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Hi Team,

The election for the Presto Foundation conformance program chair has concluded. Based on the criteria set in the TSC charter, there were four individuals eligible to vote. Out of the four voters, three voted. The person elected for the position is Rohan Pednekar. Congratulations, Rohan!

Thank you!
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 1:50 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Hi Team - please find attached a correction to the nomination statements.

Thank you!
Gale
--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 12:31 PM Gale McCommons via lists.prestodb.io <gmccommons=linuxfoundation.org@...> wrote:
Hi All,

Voting starts today to elect the chairperson of the Presto Conformance Program. Per the Conformance Program charter, the position will be voted in by the voting members of the TSC. Please find attached the nomination statements for the nominees.

Section 3.a of the TSC charter allows one vote per represented company for any election or decision that requires a vote. The designated voter for each represented company will receive a link today to vote in this election, and the election will remain open until June 29. Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Thank you,
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 3:29 PM Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...> wrote:
Presto Foundation Conformance Program Working Group,

The position for Conformance Program Chair is open for election. The nomination period is open for one week followed by a one week voting period. Please reply to this email to submit your nomination. You may nominate yourself or another candidate. Please find below the timeline for this election.

Election Timeline: June 15 - June 30
Nomination period: June 15 - June 22
Voting period: June 23 - June 29
Results announced: June 30
Term: 1 July 2021 through 30 June 2022

Thank you!
Gale

--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation
M: +1 210 367 1795

--
Best,
Rohan

Re: [presto-conformance-wg] Presto Conformance Program Chair Election

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>

[...]

Re: Presto Conformance Program Chair Election

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>

[...]

This is a gentle reminder to please submit your nominations by end of day today (6/22).

Thank you
Gale
--
[...]

Call for agenda items for June 8th, 2021 TSC meeting

Tim Meehan

Hello,

If you have any items that you would like to bring up in the TSC meeting tomorrow, please add them to the agenda by creating a pull request against the agenda file.

Thank you,

Tim

Re: Nominating Ariel Weisberg

yingsu00@...

+1 for committer. Ariel reviewed all my blogposts and his reviews were of high quality. He was also the one who set up many of the community logistics platforms.

I’m not TSC member therefore I won’t vote for Ariel’s TSC membership. But I agree with @Dipti that TSC and committership should be separately managed and elected. A TSC member does NOT have to be a committer in my humble opinion. As per my understanding, TSC members should deeply understand the industry and most cutting edge technologies, and can set the direction of the Presto community and increase its market share and adoption rate not just within every participating company but also the whole industry.

Thanks,

Ying

Re: Github Status Checks

Tim Meehan

Hello,

As we have all related company’s voting members of the TSC submitting their vote in favor, voting is now concluded and we’ll enable the status checks shortly.  Thank you!

Tim

From: Tim Meehan <tdm@...>
Date: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 8:49 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Github Status Checks

Hello,

As mentioned in the TSC meeting today, I’d like to enable the Github status checks requirement to the master branch, which means status checks must pass before a PR can be merged.  This is to prevent accidental merge of a failing test into the master branch, or to prevent known failing tests from affecting other PRs.  If there’s unrelated flaky tests, then the idea is we should fix these tests or mark them as disabled.

Documentation on Github status checks are here: https://docs.github.com/en/github/administering-a-repository/about-protected-branches#require-status-checks-before-merging

Please give this a +1 if you agree that code should not be merged with known test failures.

Thanks

Tim

Re: Nominating Ariel Weisberg

zluo@...

-1 for committer

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 1:36 AM Nezih Yigitbasi via lists.prestodb.io <nezihy=fb.com@...> wrote:
+1

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Dipti Borkar <dipti@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 2:43 PM
To: wenlei.xie@... <wenlei.xie@...>
Cc: Biswapesh Chattopadhyay <biswapesh@...>, Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, Masha Basmanova <mbasmanova@...>, Rebecca Schlussel <rschlussel@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

I think folks may be a bit confused by the committer vs TSC member discussion.
My recommendation is to separate this into two different votes, committer first and TSC member second. The reason is the second is dependent on the first.

Per the updated charter (https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/CHARTER.md section 2.iii and 2.iv, there is separation from the TSC role and the Committer role. These are the relevant sections of the project charter:

Voting in a Committer

“iii. A Contributor may become a Committer by a majority approval of the existing Committers....”

Voting in a TSC member

"iv. A Committer by default is not a voting TSC member. An existing TSC voting member can nominate a Committer to be a TSC voting member, which will require approval from the majority of existing TSC voting members."

To clarify the role of the TSC, (https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/CHARTER.md Charter Section 2:

“a) The TSC committee provides oversight to the technical direction of the project, which is the Committers, when issues arise.”

Hope this helps to clarify this. Perhaps Tim, as TSC Chair can confirm as well.

Dipti Borkar
Cofounder & Chief Product Officerahana.io

Chair | Presto Foundation, Community Team
C: 408-512-3394 | T: @dborkar

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 11:13 AM <wenlei.xie@...> wrote:

-1 as committer

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 11:09 Biswapesh Chattopadhyay via lists.prestodb.io <biswapesh=fb.com@...> wrote:

Big +1 as a nobody (feel free to ignore my vote) :-)

- Biswa.

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM
To: Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

+1 for TSC member

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] Nominating Ariel Weisberg

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

Ariel has reviewed 104 PR's with the total of 32109 LoC from 30 authors, 12 of which are external contributors from the community. Ariel provided code review and all required support to land Hive 3.0 integration, a large contribution from the community that had been a major blocker for broader Presto adoption.
Pull requests reviewed and accepted by Ariel meet the community standard. In those cases when Ariel didn't have enough context to provide a code review he has been able to identify area owners and loop them into the review process.

As his personal contributions Ariel:

  • Added support for more fine grained partitioning strategies to better handle skewed queries
  • Improved memory utilization reporting and memory limits enforcement
  • Optimized the memory footprint of RemoteExchangeOperator
  • Migrated CI from Travis to Github Actions when the project was blocked on Travis allowing us to save hundreds of thousands on CI and improving test runtime and stability
  • Restored the lost Docker containers used for product and integration testing and reenabled these tests on CI
  • Added the blog to the web site, solicited, edited, and reviewed many of the blog posts
  • Ensured the web site continues to run and deploy throughout various infrastructure changes
  • Maintained the GH organization memberships and permissions and other integrations

Please respond whether you support Ariel as a committer or a TSC member or both.

Re: Github Status Checks

zluo@...

+1

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM
To: Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

+1 for TSC member

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

[...]

Bin Fan

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM
To: Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

+1 for TSC member

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

[...]

++1 (non-binding)

I have worked very closely with Ariel on multiple initiatives as part of the foundation, on github issues and the community in general. Ariel is one of the most active participants on github with reviews and helps unblock PRs important for our users, and is also active on slack as well as social channels. He has built strong relationships across the community and is known as one of the go-to experts for Presto.
Ariel, you go above and beyond and your effort is much appreciated.

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM
To: Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

+1 for TSC member

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

[...]

41 - 60 of 295