Date

Re: Github Status Checks

James (Mingming) Xu

From:Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io <tdm=fb.com@...>
Sent At:2021 May 5 (Wed.) 08:52
To:presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject:[presto-tsc] Github Status Checks

Hello,

As mentioned in the TSC meeting today, I’d like to enable the Github status checks requirement to the master branch, which means status checks must pass before a PR can be merged.  This is to prevent accidental merge of a failing test into the master branch, or to prevent known failing tests from affecting other PRs.  If there’s unrelated flaky tests, then the idea is we should fix these tests or mark them as disabled.

Documentation on Github status checks are here: https://docs.github.com/en/github/administering-a-repository/about-protected-branches#require-status-checks-before-merging

Please give this a +1 if you agree that code should not be merged with known test failures.

Thanks

Tim

Re: Github Status Checks

Bin Fan

+1

Bin Fan

--
Bin Fan from phone

Re: Github Status Checks

rongrong100@...

[...]

Re: Nominating Ariel Weisberg

Beinan Wang

+1 to both

Re: Nominating Ariel Weisberg

Tim Meehan

To clear up any confusion, let’s keep this vote to committership only, since, as it’s stated in the charter, that needs to happen prior to the vote on TSC membership.  Thank you!

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Dipti Borkar <dipti@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 2:43 PM
To: wenlei.xie@... <wenlei.xie@...>
Cc: Biswapesh Chattopadhyay <biswapesh@...>, Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, Masha Basmanova <mbasmanova@...>, Rebecca Schlussel <rschlussel@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-tsc] Nominating Ariel Weisberg

I think folks may be a bit confused by the committer vs TSC member discussion.
My recommendation is to separate this into two different votes, committer first and TSC member second. The reason is the second is dependent on the first.

Per the updated charter (https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/CHARTER.md section 2.iii and 2.iv, there is separation from the TSC role and the Committer role. These are the relevant sections of the project charter:

Voting in a Committer

“iii. A Contributor may become a Committer by a majority approval of the existing Committers....”

Voting in a TSC member

"iv. A Committer by default is not a voting TSC member. An existing TSC voting member can nominate a Committer to be a TSC voting member, which will require approval from the majority of existing TSC voting members."

To clarify the role of the TSC, (https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/CHARTER.md Charter Section 2:

“a) The TSC committee provides oversight to the technical direction of the project, which is the Committers, when issues arise.”

Hope this helps to clarify this. Perhaps Tim, as TSC Chair can confirm as well.

Dipti Borkar
Cofounder & Chief Product Officerahana.io

Chair | Presto Foundation, Community Team
C: 408-512-3394 | T: @dborkar

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 11:13 AM <wenlei.xie@...> wrote:

-1 as committer

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 11:09 Biswapesh Chattopadhyay via lists.prestodb.io <biswapesh=fb.com@...> wrote:

Big +1 as a nobody (feel free to ignore my vote) :-)

- Biswa.

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM
To: Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

+1 for TSC member

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] Nominating Ariel Weisberg

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

Ariel has reviewed 104 PR's with the total of 32109 LoC from 30 authors, 12 of which are external contributors from the community. Ariel provided code review and all required support to land Hive 3.0 integration, a large contribution from the community that had been a major blocker for broader Presto adoption.
Pull requests reviewed and accepted by Ariel meet the community standard. In those cases when Ariel didn't have enough context to provide a code review he has been able to identify area owners and loop them into the review process.

As his personal contributions Ariel:

  • Added support for more fine grained partitioning strategies to better handle skewed queries
  • Improved memory utilization reporting and memory limits enforcement
  • Optimized the memory footprint of RemoteExchangeOperator
  • Migrated CI from Travis to Github Actions when the project was blocked on Travis allowing us to save hundreds of thousands on CI and improving test runtime and stability
  • Restored the lost Docker containers used for product and integration testing and reenabled these tests on CI
  • Added the blog to the web site, solicited, edited, and reviewed many of the blog posts
  • Ensured the web site continues to run and deploy throughout various infrastructure changes
  • Maintained the GH organization memberships and permissions and other integrations

Please respond whether you support Ariel as a committer or a TSC member or both.

--

Re: Nominating Ariel Weisberg

James Petty

+1 to both

Re: Github Status Checks

James Petty

+1

Re: Github Status Checks

Andrii Rosa

+1

Although it still feels like we should +1 this one: https://github.community/t/ability-to-rerun-just-a-single-job-in-a-workflow/17234 =)

+1

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM
To: Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

+1 for TSC member

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

[...]

Wenlei Xie

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM
To: Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

+1 for TSC member

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

[...]

Biswapesh Chattopadhyay

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM
To: Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

+1 for TSC member

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

rschlussel@...

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Maria Basmanova via lists.prestodb.io <mbasmanova=fb.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM
To: Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>, presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

+1 for TSC member

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

[...]

Maria Basmanova

+1 for TSC member

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

[...]

jamessun@...

-1, but propose to have TSC member only

Ariel has contributed a lot to our community with close collaboration with many of our partner companies. He is extremely active in Slack channels and reviews. I don’t think Presto community can be successfully without Ariel. However, the contribution from Presto codebase itself might not be sufficient. This casts an uncertainty on the committership.

We understand TSC members are all committers. But we have discussed this before if it’s possible to separate these two roles. Wonder if we could discuss on that? I’m fully supportive on Ariel to be part of TSC.

Thanks

James

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 10:32 AM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

[...]

+1 for both committer and TSC member

From: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

[...]

Nominating Ariel Weisberg

Andrii Rosa

I would like to nominate Ariel Weisberg for both committer and TSC membership.

From the very first day working at Presto Ariel has been one of the most active members of the Presto open source community. He has made substantial contributions to establishing the Presto Foundation, defining community guidelines and building relations with other companies. Currently Ariel is also one of the most active Facebook engineers in the PrestoDB Slack who is actively engaging with the external Presto community by answering their questions, helping to resolve the issues they are facing, and connecting them with experts in a specific area if needed.

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io" <tdm=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 8:49 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>

Hello,

As mentioned in the TSC meeting today, I’d like to enable the Github status checks requirement to the master branch, which means status checks must pass before a PR can be merged.  This is to prevent accidental merge of a failing test into the master branch, or to prevent known failing tests from affecting other PRs.  If there’s unrelated flaky tests, then the idea is we should fix these tests or mark them as disabled.

Documentation on Github status checks are here: https://docs.github.com/en/github/administering-a-repository/about-protected-branches#require-status-checks-before-merging

Please give this a +1 if you agree that code should not be merged with known test failures.

Thanks

Tim

Github Status Checks

Tim Meehan

Hello,

As mentioned in the TSC meeting today, I’d like to enable the Github status checks requirement to the master branch, which means status checks must pass before a PR can be merged.  This is to prevent accidental merge of a failing test into the master branch, or to prevent known failing tests from affecting other PRs.  If there’s unrelated flaky tests, then the idea is we should fix these tests or mark them as disabled.

Documentation on Github status checks are here: https://docs.github.com/en/github/administering-a-repository/about-protected-branches#require-status-checks-before-merging

Please give this a +1 if you agree that code should not be merged with known test failures.

Thanks

Tim

Call for agenda items for May 4th, 2021 TSC meeting

Tim Meehan

Hello,

If you have any items that you would like to bring up in the TSC meeting tomorrow, please add them to the agenda by creating a pull request against the May 4th file.

Thank you,

Tim

Re: Conformance program working group

Gale McCommons <gmccommons@...>

Hi Team,

Heads up - there were some issues with signups for this new mailing list last week. These have been fixed as of today, so please let me know if you have any issues adding yourself to this list.

Thank you!
Gale
--
Gale McCommons
Program Manager, Linux Foundation

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 1:09 PM Tim Meehan via lists.prestodb.io <tdm=fb.com@...> wrote:

Hello,

We would like to get started with a formation of a new working group under the technical charter of Presto.  The purpose of this working group is to guide the development and implementation of a conformance program which will aim to define what it is a conforming Presto implementation, develop an automated test suite to verify if a an implementation is truly in conformance, and creating a process for engines to verify their conformance.

To establish this, the working group will be meeting regularly, posting updates to the TSC on a regular basis, and meeting regularly to help define some of the goals listed above.  This working group will be available for anyone to attend.

I have attached a new template to get started with the formation of this working group.  This establishes how the working group will operate, and it requires an approval from voting members of the TSC.

https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/pull/62

Please leave any feedback you have for this template by requesting changes on the PR.  Once consensus is reached and it’s been approved, we’ll then proceed to collect nominations for a chair for the working group.  Then, once a chair has been elected from the nominees, the working group will commence and begin working on solving the problems outlined above.

In the meantime, a mailing list for this group has been created.  It’s available here:

https://lists.prestodb.io/g/presto-conformance-wg

If you’re interested in joining this effort and helping to solve the questions outlined above, please add yourself to this list.  It’s also not necessary to be a member of the TSC—anyone may join.

Thank you
Tim

61 - 80 of 295