Date   

TSC Elections 2021 results

Tim Meehan
 

Hello all,

 

The election has concluded, and the new TSC consists of:

 

  • Bin Fan
  • James Sun
  • Rebecca Schlussel
  • Rongrong Zhong
  • Tim Meehan
  • Ying Su
  • Zhenxiao Luo

 

Thanks everyone for submitting your nominations and participating in this election.

 

For this initial class, some term limits last until November of next year, and some extend until May of the following year.  We’ll determine who belongs to which term by random coin toss at our next TSC meeting, after which it will be added to the charter.

 

Thank you

Tim

 

From: Tim Meehan <tdm@...>
Date: Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 11:11 PM
To: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...>
Subject: Call for nominations - TSC Elections - 2021

Hello all,

 

Tl;dr: we’re now accepting nominations for the next TSC class.  Please see the TSC README to see instructions on how you can submit a nomination to the TSC.

 

To begin with, I wanted to make an announcement that tsc#68 has been merged.  Just to summarize, the main changes to the TSC were:

 

  1. Most votes become lazy consensus votes.
  2. New committers now are voted in by TSC members, not the broad set of committers.
  3. TSC members now have term limits, with elections occurring every half year for roughly half the TSC.
  4. The new TSC group will consist of a smaller pool of individuals (7, rather than the current group of 15).

 

The idea behind these changes were to reduce friction points from participation among committers and TSC members, namely: removing the high burden of voting required to vote in new committers, allowing for lazy consensus for most votes, and reducing the TSC size to make it a smaller, focused and more agile group.

 

With these changes being accepted and merged, the time has now come to vote in our next set of TSC members.

 

The process will work as follows:

 

  1. Today, we start accepting nominations for TSC membership.  By current rules, TSC members must be committers.  The instructions are found on the README for the TSC, and have also been linked on the README for the main project.
  2. Nominations close on Thursday, November 4th, after which we’ll begin the process of voting via OpaVote.
  3. Voting closes on Thursday, November 11th, at which point we’ll have our new TSC class.

 

For details, please see the README above, and the TSC charter.

 

I’m looking forward for the upcoming TSC to help guide the technical project.

 

Tim


Presto TSC Meeting - November 2nd, 2021

Tim Meehan
 

 The next Presto TSC meeting will be tomorrow, November 2nd at 9am Pacific/12pm Eastern time.

TSC meetings are open to the entire technical community, and are meant to be a forum to discuss technical direction, community concerns, and bring up new ideas.

 

If you’d like to bring up a topic for the TSC, please send a PR to the agenda here: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2021-11-02.md

 

Tim

 


Call for nominations - TSC Elections - 2021

Tim Meehan
 

Hello all,

 

Tl;dr: we’re now accepting nominations for the next TSC class.  Please see the TSC README to see instructions on how you can submit a nomination to the TSC.

 

To begin with, I wanted to make an announcement that tsc#68 has been merged.  Just to summarize, the main changes to the TSC were:

 

  1. Most votes become lazy consensus votes.
  2. New committers now are voted in by TSC members, not the broad set of committers.
  3. TSC members now have term limits, with elections occurring every half year for roughly half the TSC.
  4. The new TSC group will consist of a smaller pool of individuals (7, rather than the current group of 15).

 

The idea behind these changes were to reduce friction points from participation among committers and TSC members, namely: removing the high burden of voting required to vote in new committers, allowing for lazy consensus for most votes, and reducing the TSC size to make it a smaller, focused and more agile group.

 

With these changes being accepted and merged, the time has now come to vote in our next set of TSC members.

 

The process will work as follows:

 

  1. Today, we start accepting nominations for TSC membership.  By current rules, TSC members must be committers.  The instructions are found on the README for the TSC, and have also been linked on the README for the main project.
  2. Nominations close on Thursday, November 4th, after which we’ll begin the process of voting via OpaVote.
  3. Voting closes on Thursday, November 11th, at which point we’ll have our new TSC class.

 

For details, please see the README above, and the TSC charter.

 

I’m looking forward for the upcoming TSC to help guide the technical project.

 

Tim


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

yingsu00@...
 

+1
Sorry I was late on the vote, but congrats @Arun Thirupathi!


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

jamessun@...
 

Thanks for all the votes! We have reached the majority of the consensus now (9 affirmative ones out of 17 committers). Congrats @Arun Thirupathi on becoming a committer!

 

Thanks

 

James

 

From: James Petty <petty.jamesm@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 3:29 PM
To: James Sun <jamessun@...>
Cc: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-dev] [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

+1

 

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:37 PM jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...> wrote:

Hi Presto committers,

 

 

I would like to nominate Arun Thirupathi (github ID: arunthirupathi) as a Presto committer. Arun has been contributing a lot to the Presto ORC reader and writer. He is now one of the few experts in the Presto community having a deep grasp of file formats.

 

In Presto, Arun worked extensively on ORC support and is an expert in the columnar file formats. Arun also worked on Presto core and has contributed to multiple modules in Presto. Arun improves the code by constant refactoring, adding additional tests and improving the documentation of Presto. Arun has reviewed most changes to the columnar file format. Arun has reviewed changes from different contributors and provides quality feedback.

 

In addition, Arun is not new to open source. Arun was an active member of Voldemort, a distributed key/value store that was once popular.

 

In details, Arun has

  • 48 commits
  • 10K lines of addition and 4K lines of removal
  • 30+ PR reviews and 140+ review comments

 

The major contributions include:

 

  1. Rewrote the ORC dictionary writer to improve performance by 3X.
  2. Improve the performance of queries that use Map functions like MAP_AGG, ELEMENT_AT by introducing lazy hash tables in Presto.
  3. Improved the IO performance of Presto ORC reader and writer by introducing new layouts, configurable tail sizes.
  4. Optimized the dictionary writer performance by using chunked memory, optimized data structure.
  5. Fixed multiple bugs in presto-orc like support for stripes with 2 billion rows, IO errors are masked, Hive filter pushdown bugs.
  6. Improved columnar statistics memory efficiency.
  7. Simplified the presto-orc code by constant refactoring.
  8. Maintaining/Upgrading dependency of presto like orc-protobuf, fastutil, hive-apache

 

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

 

Thanks

 

James


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

James Petty
 

+1

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:37 PM jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...> wrote:

Hi Presto committers,

 

 

I would like to nominate Arun Thirupathi (github ID: arunthirupathi) as a Presto committer. Arun has been contributing a lot to the Presto ORC reader and writer. He is now one of the few experts in the Presto community having a deep grasp of file formats.

 

In Presto, Arun worked extensively on ORC support and is an expert in the columnar file formats. Arun also worked on Presto core and has contributed to multiple modules in Presto. Arun improves the code by constant refactoring, adding additional tests and improving the documentation of Presto. Arun has reviewed most changes to the columnar file format. Arun has reviewed changes from different contributors and provides quality feedback.

 

In addition, Arun is not new to open source. Arun was an active member of Voldemort, a distributed key/value store that was once popular.

 

In details, Arun has

  • 48 commits
  • 10K lines of addition and 4K lines of removal
  • 30+ PR reviews and 140+ review comments

 

The major contributions include:



  1. Rewrote the ORC dictionary writer to improve performance by 3X.
  2. Improve the performance of queries that use Map functions like MAP_AGG, ELEMENT_AT by introducing lazy hash tables in Presto.
  3. Improved the IO performance of Presto ORC reader and writer by introducing new layouts, configurable tail sizes.
  4. Optimized the dictionary writer performance by using chunked memory, optimized data structure.
  5. Fixed multiple bugs in presto-orc like support for stripes with 2 billion rows, IO errors are masked, Hive filter pushdown bugs.
  6. Improved columnar statistics memory efficiency.
  7. Simplified the presto-orc code by constant refactoring.
  8. Maintaining/Upgrading dependency of presto like orc-protobuf, fastutil, hive-apache

 

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

 

Thanks

 

James


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

zluo@...
 

+1

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 2:31 PM <beinan@...> wrote:
+1


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

Ted Dunning
 

 

Who is franchised to vote for committers

 

From: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...> on behalf of Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 2:38 PM
To: beinan@... <beinan@...>
Cc: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...>
Subject: Re: [presto-dev] [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

+1

 

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 5:31 PM <beinan@...> wrote:

+1


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

Andrii Rosa
 

+1

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 5:31 PM <beinan@...> wrote:
+1


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

beinan@...
 

+1


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

Rongrong
 

+1

 

From: presto-dev@... <presto-dev@...> on behalf of jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 9:38 AM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>, presto-tsc-voting@... <presto-tsc-voting@...>, shixuanfan.dabottle@... <shixuanfan.dabottle@...>, Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Subject: [presto-dev] [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

Hi Presto committers,

 

 

I would like to nominate Arun Thirupathi (github ID: arunthirupathi) as a Presto committer. Arun has been contributing a lot to the Presto ORC reader and writer. He is now one of the few experts in the Presto community having a deep grasp of file formats.

 

In Presto, Arun worked extensively on ORC support and is an expert in the columnar file formats. Arun also worked on Presto core and has contributed to multiple modules in Presto. Arun improves the code by constant refactoring, adding additional tests and improving the documentation of Presto. Arun has reviewed most changes to the columnar file format. Arun has reviewed changes from different contributors and provides quality feedback.

 

In addition, Arun is not new to open source. Arun was an active member of Voldemort, a distributed key/value store that was once popular.

 

In details, Arun has

  • 48 commits
  • 10K lines of addition and 4K lines of removal
  • 30+ PR reviews and 140+ review comments

 

The major contributions include:

 

  1. Rewrote the ORC dictionary writer to improve performance by 3X.
  2. Improve the performance of queries that use Map functions like MAP_AGG, ELEMENT_AT by introducing lazy hash tables in Presto.
  3. Improved the IO performance of Presto ORC reader and writer by introducing new layouts, configurable tail sizes.
  4. Optimized the dictionary writer performance by using chunked memory, optimized data structure.
  5. Fixed multiple bugs in presto-orc like support for stripes with 2 billion rows, IO errors are masked, Hive filter pushdown bugs.
  6. Improved columnar statistics memory efficiency.
  7. Simplified the presto-orc code by constant refactoring.
  8. Maintaining/Upgrading dependency of presto like orc-protobuf, fastutil, hive-apache

 

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

 

Thanks

 

James


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

Tim Meehan
 

+1

 

From: presto-tsc-private@... <presto-tsc-private@...> on behalf of James Sun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 12:38 PM
To: presto-tsc@... <presto-tsc@...>, presto-tsc-voting@... <presto-tsc-voting@...>, shixuanfan.dabottle@... <shixuanfan.dabottle@...>, Andrii Rosa <andriyrosa@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc-private] [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

Hi Presto committers,

 

 

I would like to nominate Arun Thirupathi (github ID: arunthirupathi) as a Presto committer. Arun has been contributing a lot to the Presto ORC reader and writer. He is now one of the few experts in the Presto community having a deep grasp of file formats.

 

In Presto, Arun worked extensively on ORC support and is an expert in the columnar file formats. Arun also worked on Presto core and has contributed to multiple modules in Presto. Arun improves the code by constant refactoring, adding additional tests and improving the documentation of Presto. Arun has reviewed most changes to the columnar file format. Arun has reviewed changes from different contributors and provides quality feedback.

 

In addition, Arun is not new to open source. Arun was an active member of Voldemort, a distributed key/value store that was once popular.

 

In details, Arun has

  • 48 commits
  • 10K lines of addition and 4K lines of removal
  • 30+ PR reviews and 140+ review comments

 

The major contributions include:

 

  1. Rewrote the ORC dictionary writer to improve performance by 3X.
  2. Improve the performance of queries that use Map functions like MAP_AGG, ELEMENT_AT by introducing lazy hash tables in Presto.
  3. Improved the IO performance of Presto ORC reader and writer by introducing new layouts, configurable tail sizes.
  4. Optimized the dictionary writer performance by using chunked memory, optimized data structure.
  5. Fixed multiple bugs in presto-orc like support for stripes with 2 billion rows, IO errors are masked, Hive filter pushdown bugs.
  6. Improved columnar statistics memory efficiency.
  7. Simplified the presto-orc code by constant refactoring.
  8. Maintaining/Upgrading dependency of presto like orc-protobuf, fastutil, hive-apache

 

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

 

Thanks

 

James


Re: [presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

Bin Fan
 

+1

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 9:37 AM jamessun via lists.prestodb.io <jamessun=fb.com@...> wrote:

Hi Presto committers,

 

 

I would like to nominate Arun Thirupathi (github ID: arunthirupathi) as a Presto committer. Arun has been contributing a lot to the Presto ORC reader and writer. He is now one of the few experts in the Presto community having a deep grasp of file formats.

 

In Presto, Arun worked extensively on ORC support and is an expert in the columnar file formats. Arun also worked on Presto core and has contributed to multiple modules in Presto. Arun improves the code by constant refactoring, adding additional tests and improving the documentation of Presto. Arun has reviewed most changes to the columnar file format. Arun has reviewed changes from different contributors and provides quality feedback.

 

In addition, Arun is not new to open source. Arun was an active member of Voldemort, a distributed key/value store that was once popular.

 

In details, Arun has

  • 48 commits
  • 10K lines of addition and 4K lines of removal
  • 30+ PR reviews and 140+ review comments

 

The major contributions include:



  1. Rewrote the ORC dictionary writer to improve performance by 3X.
  2. Improve the performance of queries that use Map functions like MAP_AGG, ELEMENT_AT by introducing lazy hash tables in Presto.
  3. Improved the IO performance of Presto ORC reader and writer by introducing new layouts, configurable tail sizes.
  4. Optimized the dictionary writer performance by using chunked memory, optimized data structure.
  5. Fixed multiple bugs in presto-orc like support for stripes with 2 billion rows, IO errors are masked, Hive filter pushdown bugs.
  6. Improved columnar statistics memory efficiency.
  7. Simplified the presto-orc code by constant refactoring.
  8. Maintaining/Upgrading dependency of presto like orc-protobuf, fastutil, hive-apache

 

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

 

Thanks

 

James




[presto-tsc] Nominate Arun as Presto Committer

jamessun@...
 

Hi Presto committers,

 

 

I would like to nominate Arun Thirupathi (github ID: arunthirupathi) as a Presto committer. Arun has been contributing a lot to the Presto ORC reader and writer. He is now one of the few experts in the Presto community having a deep grasp of file formats.

 

In Presto, Arun worked extensively on ORC support and is an expert in the columnar file formats. Arun also worked on Presto core and has contributed to multiple modules in Presto. Arun improves the code by constant refactoring, adding additional tests and improving the documentation of Presto. Arun has reviewed most changes to the columnar file format. Arun has reviewed changes from different contributors and provides quality feedback.

 

In addition, Arun is not new to open source. Arun was an active member of Voldemort, a distributed key/value store that was once popular.

 

In details, Arun has

  • 48 commits
  • 10K lines of addition and 4K lines of removal
  • 30+ PR reviews and 140+ review comments

 

The major contributions include:



  1. Rewrote the ORC dictionary writer to improve performance by 3X.
  2. Improve the performance of queries that use Map functions like MAP_AGG, ELEMENT_AT by introducing lazy hash tables in Presto.
  3. Improved the IO performance of Presto ORC reader and writer by introducing new layouts, configurable tail sizes.
  4. Optimized the dictionary writer performance by using chunked memory, optimized data structure.
  5. Fixed multiple bugs in presto-orc like support for stripes with 2 billion rows, IO errors are masked, Hive filter pushdown bugs.
  6. Improved columnar statistics memory efficiency.
  7. Simplified the presto-orc code by constant refactoring.
  8. Maintaining/Upgrading dependency of presto like orc-protobuf, fastutil, hive-apache

 

 

Please reply to this email to vote.

 

 

Thanks

 

James


Re: Presto TSC Meeting - October 5th, 2021

 

Hi Jim,

Meeting info can be found on the TSC github repo, in the meeting meeting agenda document: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2021-10-05.md

Best,
Brian

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 9:24 PM Jim Apple via lists.prestodb.io <jimapple=fb.com@...> wrote:
I'm new. What is the link to the videoconference?



--

Brian Warner
The Linux Foundation
+1 724 301-6171


Re: Presto TSC Meeting - October 5th, 2021

Jim Apple
 

I'm new. What is the link to the videoconference?


Presto TSC Meeting - October 5th, 2021

Tim Meehan
 

The next Presto TSC meeting will be tomorrow, October 5th at 9am Pacifc/12pm Eastern time.

TSC meetings are open to the entire technical community, and are meant to be a forum to discuss technical direction, community concerns, and bring up new ideas.

 

If you’d like to bring up a topic for the TSC, please send a PR to the agenda here: https://github.com/prestodb/tsc/blob/master/meetings/2021-10-05.md

 

Tim


presto-tsc => presto-dev

Tim Meehan
 

Hi all,

 

tl;dr To better reflect the purpose and encourage more active discussion on technical matters, I’ve renamed the presto-tsc mailing list to presto-dev.  It was never a list pertaining only to the TSC, it is a list for the entire technical community to discuss the development of Presto

 

Emails to presto-tsc will now automatically be redirected to presto-dev.  Any URLs referencing the lists page also automatically redirect to presto-dev.

 

What sort of discussions do we want on presto-dev?

 

We want this list to be place where people discuss significant work on the project, questions on the status of any ongoing work, or concerns around the community and technical direction.  Here are some examples of emails I’d love to see more of:

  • Why is the default maximum page size set to X?
  • Proposal to introduce X to Presto’s built-in types
  • Support for <INSERT LANGUAGE FEATURE>

 

I’m excited looking forward to seeing more life in this list and more technical discussions. :-)

 

Tim


Request for early feedback re: how we build presto

Costin Cozianu
 

Hello all,

I am new to this list, but, as way of introduction I'm the guy inside facebook who more or less is guilty if presto releases don't show up in time -- most likely the build/test pipeline would have broke somehow, usually the credit should go when things go well, to the "release oncall" which is a larger rotation of facebook engineers.

TLDR: we need to change how we build presto and I am asking for any and all contribution to coming up with the best way to move forward,

I have a proposal to change things, not because I like change (I rather don't), but because the current situation is far from ideal and if continued in the current form things will break in the future. Even if there's no very immediate danger of things breaking, it's better to discuss things now well ahead of the breakage so that we won't have to discuss it when things break.

I intend to ask the tsc to discuss it more in depth at the next month's  TSC meeting but here's the document that I started (it's early and I expect there's many thing may need to change or things that I have missed).



Thank you,
Costin


Call for agenda items for September 14, 2021 TSC meeting

Tim Meehan
 

Hello,

 

If you have any items that you would like to bring up in the TSC meeting tomorrow, please add them to the agenda by creating a pull request against the agenda file.

 

Thank you,

Tim

 

 

1 - 20 of 283