Re: [Proposal] Adding a new top-level project in Presto on GitHub

rongrong100@...

Our current plan is to use Java. We decided to go with Java rather than C++ because it’s easier to integrate with presto coordinator and java APIs for metadata are well supported while c++ APIs are lacking.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 4:16 AM Masha Basmanova <mbasmanova@...> wrote:

Rongrong,

do you plan to use Java or C++ for this new project?

-Masha

From: <presto-tsc@...> on behalf of "rongrong100@..." <rongrong100@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 7:43 PM
To: "presto-tsc@..." <presto-tsc@...>
Subject: [presto-tsc] [Proposal] Adding a new top-level project in Presto on GitHub

As part of the modernization effort in Facebook, we want to develop a new parser front end. The goals for this new project includes:

* SQL16 compliance

* New language extensions for rich types, streaming, graph process, etc.

* Fully resolved AST

* AST rewriter framework and optimizations

* Fully compatible with current presto-parser

We think a stand-alone project is better because we want to push this to be a more general SQL standard for other SQL-based query processing frameworks as well. But this will still be under the presto org as a Presto Foundation project and we want to ensure this is fully compatible with existing Presto grammar. Please reply if you have any questions or concerns on this project.

Join presto-dev@lists.prestodb.io to automatically receive all group messages.